Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Other games 2024 - 2025

Oh be fair miller - anyone that can beat Barnsley who are a proper juggernaut of a team - without conceding - is an absolute monster and a force to be reckoned with - just ask Stevenage 😜

That’s true, so glad we got the easier draw, playing a Premier League team desperate for a win and playing pretty much their first 11.

We’d have struggled with Barnsley, Barrow or Bolton.

If you have looked at any of the back pages from the midweek fixtures, apparently Chelsea are now title challengers and Arteta is a genius for playing a few kids while putting the mighty Bolton to the sword.

Barely a mention of us winning 5-1 having made 9 changes from the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Barely a mention of us winning 5-1 having made 9 changes from the weekend.
    Honestly I prefer it right now - the spotlight not being directly on us.

I want to see Slot given every opportunity to work away in the proverbial laboratory at the little tweaks that can improve us further while full media spotlight remains on a "Pep versus Arteta" narrative, the continued averageness of Man United and the struggles of the likely relegation candidates.

I don't want every minutia of a post-Jürgen Liverpool being under the media microscope every single week.

So far it is going really well - we're near the top of the League (not that it counts for much at this early stage) and comfortably navigated our first League Cup game and a trip to the San Siro in our European adventures. We've also had the token "blip" of a match against Nottingham Forest which, whilst it would have been infinitely better to have won, will keep everyone grounded rather than putting Slot on a pedestal that sets him up for future failure.

As long as we are chipping away, aren't plagued with injuries, continue to make minor improvements and aren't the main media story this season, then happy days.

I quite agree and I’m not in the least surprised at lack of media coverage in our progress under the new regime.

But then we’re not based in Manchester or London so unless we lose or one of players gets sent off, we don’t exist.

Yep - I believe the lack of media interest is mainly due to the phlegmatic nature of our new manager - relative to the gigantic persona that just left.

The media is a circus - rest assured we’re a Jose t walk in to the hot seats we would be on the front pages daily

Either way it’s a godsend. I was expecting microscopic examination of the players in the wake of Klopp leaving, Something I feared greatly.

Weekly comparisons etc.

Hasn’t materialised at all as yet. I do think Slot is a great at simply deflecting everything they throw… It’s like he is bending light - Predator style.

You look at the trees for something to pick out — a story - a scandal - and all you see are branches and leaves.

So far he has fed them nothing to feed on

Winning games has certainly helped. Had we got off to the start a lot of us had predicted, I think the narrative would be a little different.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Winning games has certainly helped. Had we got off to the start a lot of us had predicted, I think the narrative would be a little different.
    100% there would be constant berating from all the sports media. That's the name of the game tbf

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    100% there would be constant berating from all the sports media. That's the name of the game tbf
    They are like vultures. They are always circling above waiting till an injury occurs to their target, at which point they'll swoop in and tear it to bits.

Oh dear Dragusin sent off for Spuds v Carrier bag after just 8 minutes. Last man professional foul