Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107110111112113114115116117
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1170

Thread: Darwin Nunez

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Can’t see us keeping 6 forwards (plus Harvey) in the long term
    Old man Mo was burned out 2/3's through last season. He needs the full time right wing responsibility taken off him these next couple of seasons (should he stay that long)...

Big season for Darwin.

Hope he improves on last seasons figures, if he doesn’t then I can see Slot changing things.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I hope the US get fined as well for having pathetic police presence at the games. Its amazing no one was killed or seriously hurt
    The US (through the US Soccer Federation) wasn't responsible for managing the tournament.

The tournament was entirely organized and managed primarily by CONMEBAL (The South American Federation equivalent of UEFA), and co-organized by CONCACAF (Their North American equivalent)

The US was merely the host and provided the venues.
    Everything down the the schedules, facilities, personnel (including security) was managed by CONMEBOL.

I know that's a bit confusing, and to be fair to the American Federation - in previous times that tournaments have been held in the US and hosted by CONCACAF, they've had none of these issues (and there were a ton of issues beyond what we saw during the games). Plus, the US also previously hosted the World Cup in 1996 and likewise then, none of these types of issues were apparent even way back then.

This was all a colossal failure and faceplant by Conmebol themselves who took over tournament organizing and handling responsibilities - since this is the norm for when they run tournaments in South America.

A little bit of backstory to all this of course is that Ecuador was the original host chosen to host the 2024 tournament but at the last moment dropped out (or were dropped?), and the US (through CONCACAF) offered to step in at the last minute to take over hosting responsibilites, which CONMEBOL agreed to, in part because CONCACAF will host the next World Cup (jointly between the US, Canada and Mexico) and this would serve as a great dry run and preparation for that. In return CONMEBOL agreed to let CONCACAF countries of the US, Canada and Mexico (and I believe Central American countries like Jamaica as well) participate in the Copa America as guest participants(which is traditionally normally exclusively a South American tournament ("normally" because they've had guest participant countries in the past as well such as Japan).
    But the proviso was that CONMEBOL would manage the tournament and run point on everything with CONCACAF providing logistical support.
    It's worth noting that CONMEBOL have had these sort of issues before in previous tournments when it hosted it in South America, so what we saw was neither surprising nor shocking to South American participants.

It should therefore come as a relief that the next World Cup (2026) though being hosted in North America will have nothing to do with Conmebol in terms of organization and management.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Can’t see us keeping 6 forwards (plus Harvey) in the long term
    I can actually, especially if Elliott is depth for Szoboszlai as a 10, rather than a forward per se.

But they won't all be super high wage guys.

In a few years (potentially as soon as next season?) we won't have £350k-per-week Salah at the club.

If we round Salah's wages up by £10k to £360k-per-week, we're talking about enough money to pay 3 lads a pretty healthy £120k-per-week.

The benefits to having 6 quality attackers are many, but even if we break it down to its most cynical variant (the club regularly participating in the Champion's League to maintain value for FSG prior to an eventual sale at huge profit) then I think it makes sense for them.

There's no such thing as "guaranteeing" us remaining in the Champion's League spots and regularly going deep in the competition, but having a lot of talent at the top end of the pitch all approaching (or in) their peak years makes sense.

Just as an additional thought-out-loud, what's the most senior attackers we have had at the club at once?

Is it seven?

With all the seasons under Klopp and some of the transfers, I occasionally lose track of who was at the club at the same time as whoever else - but when Diaz came in a January window, I think we had, for a time -

- Salah
    - Firmino
    - Mane
    - Jota
    - Diaz
    - Origi
    - Minamino

- all at the same time - have I that right?

Wild depth. I think 7 is one too many if the seventh isn't a young lad breaking through, but 6 quality attackers (Origi and Minamino weren't quite at the level of the other 5 imo) is something I am looking forward to this season, disappointing as the gaps in other areas are.

Beautiful strike yesterday.

Quite reminiscent of the Grosso goal v Germany, though Darwin's has more elevation.

There's one angle of it in a YouTube short from behind Darwin that truly shows the amount of curl and it's almost like the one that Suarez got against Stoke.

Delicious. Hopefully another goal comes for him soon.

Núñez

Premier League
    Played 69
    Scored 21
    Assisted 11
    3,877 Minutes
    Goal per 184.6 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 121.2 minutes

All Comps
    Played 102
    Scored 34
    Assisted 18
    Minutes 5,638
    Goal per 165.8 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 108.4 minutes

Best season to date 23/24
    Played 54
    Scored 18
    Assisted 13
    Minutes 3,026
    Goal per 168.1 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 97.6 minutes

Fowler

Premier League
    Played 266 Scored 129 Assisted 29 Minutes 20,312
    Goal per 175.5 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 128.6 minutes

All Comps
    Played 369 Scored 183 Assisted 50 Minutes 28,156
    Goal per 153.9 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 120.8 minutes

Best season 95/96
    Played 53
    Scored 36
    Assisted 7
    Minutes 4,499
    Goal per 125 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 104.6 minutes

Fowler better goal per minutes stats by my count
    & Darwin better on Goal-or-Assist per minutes

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Núñez

Premier League
    Played 69
    Scored 21
    Assisted 11
    3,877 Minutes
    Goal per 184.6 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 121.2 minutes

All Comps
    Played 102
    Scored 34
    Assisted 18
    Minutes 5,638
    Goal per 165.8 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 108.4 minutes

Best season to date 23/24
    Played 54
    Scored 18
    Assisted 13
    Minutes 3,026
    Goal per 168.1 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 97.6 minutes

Fowler

Premier League
    Played 266 Scored 129 Assisted 29 Minutes 20,312
    Goal per 175.5 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 128.6 minutes

All Comps
    Played 369 Scored 183 Assisted 50 Minutes 28,156
    Goal per 153.9 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 120.8 minutes

Best season 95/96
    Played 53
    Scored 36
    Assisted 7
    Minutes 4,499
    Goal per 125 minutes
    Goal-or-Assist per 104.6 minutes

Fowler better goal per minutes stats by my count
    & Darwin better on Goal-or-Assist per minutes
    Nunez isn't half the player Robbie was.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Nunez isn't half the player Robbie was.
    Thanks for clearing that up ian, I thought he was, I thought he was suarez tbh..

Anyway as much as i dislike nunez i'd happily keep this attack and a salah replacement for next 4+ years.

Gives us something different the other lads don't have.. bit of a warrior up top.

Just need a top midfielder and a CB/LB in near future, no reason we can't win everything then, for now i'll be surprised if we do the league etc this season, there's holes in this team that lacks quality compared to others.

now rodri is injured, city's midfield isn't all that better than ours mind.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.