Thread: Red Cards..

Red Cards..

As much as I enjoyed Utd’s Fernandes being sent off, in my eyes, no way was that challenge a straight Red Card, it was a stupid challenge but it certainly wasn’t worthy of a straight Red Card… if that had been awarded against any side in the Premiership, each sides fan base would be up in arms and would have argued that it was a poor decision.

Whilst I understand that it looked bad in real time, however I fail to understand why Referees after giving an initial Red Card, don’t automatically review their initial decision via the on screen monitor, just to make sure that their initial interpretation was correct.

Sending players off is such a game changing decision, no real fan if they were being fair would object to Refs automatically double checking that their initial call was correct… and then if they realise they have been harsh/ hasty, they can recind their original decision, surely that is a better protocol and outcome than what exists right now…

With regards Red Card criteria, for me any professional foul with no attempt to play the ball, should be a straight Red Card. Only penalising it with a yellow fails to recognise the clear difference between a genuine mistimed tackle and a clear case of cheating, pulling back a player is bad enough but some of these tackles are nothing less than assault and to only punish them with a yellow is just insane.

Trust me once players realise the punishment for this behaviour is a straight Red Card, the incidences of it happening will diminish accordingly..

Rant over…

Quote Originally Posted by BOBPAISLEYFAN View Post
    As much as I enjoyed Utd’s Fernandes being sent off, in my eyes, no way was that challenge a straight Red Card, it was a stupid challenge but it certainly wasn’t worthy of a straight Red Card… if that had been awarded against any side in the Premiership, each sides fan base would be up in arms and would have argued that it was a poor decision.

Whilst I understand that it looked bad in real time, however I fail to understand why Referees after giving an initial Red Card, don’t automatically review their initial decision via the on screen monitor, just to make sure that their initial interpretation was correct.

Sending players off is such a game changing decision, no real fan if they were being fair would object to Refs automatically double checking that their initial call was correct… and then if they realise they have been harsh/ hasty, they can recind their original decision, surely that is a better protocol and outcome than what exists right now…

With regards Red Card criteria, for me any professional foul with no attempt to play the ball, should be a straight Red Card. Only penalising it with a yellow fails to recognise the clear difference between a genuine mistimed tackle and a clear case of cheating, pulling back a player is bad enough but some of these tackles are nothing less than assault and to only punish them with a yellow is just insane.

Trust me once players realise the punishment for this behaviour is a straight Red Card, the incidences of it happening will diminish accordingly..

Rant over…
    Could it be argued that the Fernandez incident was a professional foul with no attempt to play the ball. He had missed the opportunity to play the ball and was intent on playing the man.
    I do however agree with your suggestion about the ref review as VAR are very reluctant to challenge the ref.

I don't care about Man-united, send the fucking lot off
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by huyrob View Post
    Could it be argued that the Fernandez incident was a professional foul with no attempt to play the ball. He had missed the opportunity to play the ball and was intent on playing the man.
    I do however agree with your suggestion about the ref review as VAR are very reluctant to challenge the ref.
    At a stretch maybe, but I think you know to the type of supposed Professional foul I am referring too, the blatant challenge with no intent of going for the ball and every intent is to stop the player and the attack…regardless, given the consequence is just a yellow card…

I was talking about the awarding of Red Cards in general, not specifically the Utd one… 😜

Fernandes as had it red over turned.. didnt take long did it?

Jesus wept

I was watching sky sports the other day with the ex ref (Dermot Gallagher), Sue Smith and dean ashton. They were discussing if jota should have been sent off when he stood on a wolves player ankle from behind. I remember watching the game thinking, he could go for it.

The ex ref said a yellow was enough as it was accidental and he was going for the ball. Which I would agree with.

Dean ashton said it was a red card cos he stood on the ankle and if there was more force could have broken it. Dermot Gallagher was very surprised that an ex pro said it was a red.

Its gone to the point where players won't tackle or go for 50/50s for fear of being sent off. For me, fernandes is never a red. He doesn't catch him with his studs, he grazes the leg.

They are looking for reasons to send player off now.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Jesus wept
    Maybe they thought.. allowing Bruno to play would be more beneficial to the opposition.. so removed the 3 game ban