Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: What you watched last good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Cracking film just starting/about to start on BBC channel 4 13/08/20 10:15 pm - "the Damned United".
    Worth a watch if you've not seen it.
    Bastards, they've changed it because of the fucking snooker

Watched "Fury" with Brad Pitt.

It's a good enough film, a touch "paint by numbers" though, didn't reach the heights it could have and an element of "all been done before" but has a couple of moments of fine acting and cinematography.

Secrets of the Berlin Wall on BBC iplayer. Fascinating documentary about the GDR. I had nonudea how bad the stasi were.
    Also watched the lost Nazi videos of WW2. Like all docs on the war its pretty grim and graphic in its content. The atrocities of Nazis never cease to shock me no matter how many times I see them. It was truly horrific but it also tells of the horror of the German people after the destruction of Hamburg and Dresden.
    Always irritated me when Brits say "we won the war". Nobody won. Everybody lost.
    Started Mandalorian season 2 also. Best thing on TV by miles.

Watched 2 films..

Hostiles (2017)
    And
    Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio (2005)

Both brilliant films and both portray different aspects of American history and culture.

When I'm not watching YouTube videos, I'm either watching re-runs of classic Doctor Who or Star Trek TNG, or watching some football.

Most stuff that is released these days is at worst a load of 'propaganda' masquerading as p.poor 'entertainment' or 'comedy', and at best is something that has been massively overhyped and is a bit 'meh'.

I saw an ad for "WandaVision" as I was tuning in to tonight's match, and to be honest I can't even be bothered to check it out. I'll probably stick to watching clips of cats having late night 'mad half hours'.
    Last edited by RedNoodle; 20th January 2021 at 09:41 PM.

I don't fancy that Wandavision. Neither of them seem like strong enough Marvel characters to warrant their own show.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I don't fancy that Wandavision. Neither of them seem like strong enough Marvel characters to warrant their own show.
    I think people are starting to get sick of endless superhero flicks/shows.

How about a good old fashion action film e.g. Predator (which I'm currently watching), Robocop, Terminator etc with infinitely more substance that style, which unfortunately is what films, shows, and the world in general have become.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    It doesn't help that female characters these days aren't allowed to be seen to be being physically beaten down by male opponents, nor to have any real character flaws.

If your protagonist can do absolutely everything, the stakes are lowered considerably and thus it's hard to be invested as a viewer.

Which is a real shame, particularly as, in explaining this, there's a crowd of people who will label you as "anti-women" for wanting to *shock horror* not see things so artificially portrayed.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    It doesn't help that female characters these days aren't allowed to be seen to be being physically beaten down by male opponents, nor to have any real character flaws.

If your protagonist can do absolutely everything, the stakes are lowered considerably and thus it's hard to be invested as a viewer.

Which is a real shame, particularly as, in explaining this, there's a crowd of people who will label you as "anti-women" for wanting to *shock horror* not see things so artificially portrayed.
    Many modern TV shows and films are more about shoving certain political and social agendas down our throats (ruining established characters, or even trying to change history) than they are about providing interesting characters, ideas, and heaven forbid some actual entertainment.

Batwoman season 2 just started and has received some of the lowest ever viewing figures. If you do a quick search on YouTube you'll find tons of videos about it. The same thing has happened with the likes of Doctor Who, as seen in the Xmas special, which was neither special nor actually shown at Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post

How about a good old fashion action film e.g. Predator (which I'm currently watching), Robocop, Terminator etc with infinitely more substance that style, which unfortunately is what films, shows, and the world in general have become.
    Totally agree. I'm a big Marvel fan but I'd had my fill of the movies after Black Panther, they have reached saturation point and I fear Disney will do the same with the Star Wars "franchise". I only just recently watched Infinity War.
    Classic movies you mention there. Always loved them and those types of action/sci fi stuff.