Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3235363738394041424344454647484952 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Madrid v Liverpool (CL Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    We went tappy crappy last season for much of it. It was obviously the style we developed to save legs in possession and allow us to rest in possession rather than charging up and down the pitch like a basketball team. Somehow it became our only tactic this season. I don’t think we could stay playing the constant high press indefinitely with a core of 12 or 13 players. Just not sustainable. We failed at refreshing and breathing life into our squad and it looks like we are gonna pay dearly for it.
    Nailed

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    To put it politely, He looks fucked!!
    Too much football these past 3 season has taken it's toll.
    Is this Mane we're talking about?

It will be interesting (in future) to see what comes out in books/interviews. He definitely has a lot of match time at a high intensity under his belt, but he had Covid too and I've said before, I wouldn't rule out "long Covid" as being a negative influence on his game/fitness.

Interesting stat on Keita while we're here -

"At the time he was subbed, Naby Keita's turnover rate (which is the share of touches that lose possession) was only the fourth highest for Liverpool

=1 | Salah/Jota - 44%
    2 | Mane - 41%
    =3 |TAA/Robertson - 29%
    4 | Keita - 19%
    5 | Wijnaldum - 14%"

Perhaps Naby's give-aways were in more crucial bits of the pitch ie potentially more costly, and/or Klopp felt he needed to send a message to players. But he wasn't alone in being poor in that first half. Does look like his Liverpool career is done though, looking at how it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Mané is gone - Klopp just hoping for some magic - let’s face it - we are looking for more miracles.
    I'm starting to worry about him hes looked gone for months. Arsenal he looked a bit sharper but from the second half I saw he looks back to where he was. The chance that Jota put on for him, he would have buried that last season. He gets in front of their man and puts it away. Not even sure if its form anymore either.
    The front 3 needs changing up, we've all said this for long enough but right now he looks like the one who would have to make way out of the three that started tonight.
    This whole season just needs a line drawing under it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Mane and Robbo's form both went to shit when we went tappy crappy and stopped playing the centre to left and right to left switches to find either in isolation, neither has recovered because we've never gone back to doing what made that partnership on our left, which was the strongest and most potent in our entire team, played so brilliantly doing for 2 seasons
    It's more than that. He is arguing with players and the ref a lot more. His attitude looks poor and he is making all the wrong decisions. Looks like an unhappy person right now. Whatever is happening, we have a few of them.

Maybe, as someone, said here he has played too much football the last 3 years. I don't buy into that myself, they had plenty of rest last year and have the best recovery options available to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    That was another thing Real did well tonight. They switched play and used the whole pitch really well. We were chasing shadows at times.
    You don't have to tell me Ian, most exceptional European teams do it, the main thing I was banging on about in last summers transfer thread was bringing in a couple of midfielders who can play switches so comfortably and accurately, especially given how much our forwards and full backs thrive and have thrives of the switches

Last summer we only had Henderson in our entire midfield who could play them, which was absolutely woeful considering how vital they are to the strength of our players, and we had Virgil and Matip who could both play excellent accurate long diagonals and balls over the top from deep too

Put Hendo in CM in that game tonight and playing the switches and attempted balls over the top it looked like he'd been instructed not to play when we tried to go tappy crappy earlier this season, with the greater organisation and keeping everyone around him on point and focused and driven and it's a totally different proposition

For whatever reason, to me it always seemed through instruction, we stopped doing a few things this season they were a huge part of what made us so formidable

Switches and attempted balls over the top with the constant runs in behind from Mo and Mane and the midfielders taking up great positions to win second balls from those attempted passes was the main one, I have no fucking idea whatsoever which genius decided to try and play like City played in the season we handed them their arse, but I said very early this season it was a fucking shit idea and it was

People whining about Mane and Robbo, well doing those things was absolutely key to how both played, so bash them all you want lads, but for me you need to be looking at whoever stopped us doing those things
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I'm starting to worry about him hes looked gone for months. Arsenal he looked a bit sharper but from the second half I saw he looks back to where he was. The chance that Jota put on for him, he would have buried that last season. He gets in front of their man and puts it away. Not even sure if its form anymore either.
    The front 3 needs changing up, we've all said this for long enough but right now he looks like the one who would have to make way out of the three that started tonight.
    This whole season just needs a line drawing under it.
    Agreed on drawing the line under the season. But I'm starting to worry that a lot of these players need replacing and may not recover their form.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    You don't have to tell me Ian, most exceptional European teams do it, the main thing I was banging on about in last summers transfer thread was bringing in a couple of midfielders who can play switches so comfortably and accurately, especially given how much our forwards and full backs thrive and have thrives of the switches

Last summer we only had Henderson in our entire midfield who could play them, which was absolutely woeful considering how vital they are to the strength of our players, and we had Virgil and Matip who could both play excellent accurate long diagonals and balls over the top from deep too

Put Hendo in CM in that game tonight and playing the switches and attempted balls over the top it looked like he'd been instructed not to play when we tried to go tappy crappy earlier this season, with the greater organisation and keeping everyone around him on point and focused and driven and it's a totally different proposition

For whatever reason, to me it always seemed through instruction, we stopped doing a few things this season they were a huge part of what made us so formidable

Switches and attempted balls over the top with the constant runs in behind from Mo and Mane and the midfielders taking up great positions to win second balls from those attempted passes was the main one, I have no fucking idea whatsoever which genius decided to try and play like City played in the season we handed them their arse, but I said very early this season it was a fucking shit idea and it was

People whining about Mane and Robbo, well doing those things was absolutely key to how both played, so bash them all you want lads, but for me you need to be looking at whoever stopped us doing those things
    Stopping playing long balls to the wings stopped mane working hard and being able to control a pass or get on the end of chances?? If that’s the case we’d be better off without surely if that’s all it takes to turn him into a mid table player.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Correct and as Nineteen says we dont play teams in England with that quality in midfield.

They caught Phillips out with that first goal but once Junior controls it he is getting a shot away.

Kabak/Phillips were not to blame though they got caught out a few times but both put some decent challenges in.

The midfield if you could call it that was what let us down badly first half.

As I have said 3-1 is not completely game over but id fancy Madrid to go through still.
    With a full crowd it would be an ask but not insurmountable but you just cant see them not scoring whilst we chase goals.
    Their midfield 2 despite their age is still as good as any in the world. At 2-1 we looked like getting back in it but that 3rd goal was absolutely awful to concede from a literal nothing throw in, 2 passes after in the net. He didn't even strike it that well.

Owen actually nailed a part of what's been wrong this season, a big part of how we played was reliant on our being able to attack sides and be entirely secure leaving our 2 CBs, Virgil and Matip, 2v2 at the back

That's why, although they have done reasonably well, I would probably keep Phillips as a 5th CB for cup games and emergencies, and I wouldn't sign Kabak, we need another top class commanding CB
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Agreed on drawing the line under the season. But I'm starting to worry that a lot of these players need replacing and may not recover their form.
    Me too. The obvious defensive issues have been a big problem but form of a lot of players is concerning. The squad has gone from looking very good at one point to now looking like it needs major bolstering.
    Its been said a trillion times now but failing to add to the squad is FSGs biggest cock up yet. It just remains to be seen wether they act or not.