Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Under-investment

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    What in the everlasting fook has Manchester Cities squad got to do with our levels of investment and 27 point reduction on last year @game 23?

City have a squad that competes for 4 trophies a season. They spend money like it grows on trees - so what..? Who cares about City?
    Why would you post a table with city's net spend on it so ? O

Why not just look at our own financials.
    Can't be 14th in a league table of net spend without bringing up the other sides.

You seem to be able to post net spend, articles with city in them and wonder why I'd bring up city.

I've picked city as they have been our main rivals in a footballing sense and have the best squad.

Is there another squad you'd like to look at instead ? You can post another squad if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    hes really called that??
    It's a term of admiration, he gets it out of their squad. Great player.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    It's a term of admiration, he gets it out of their squad. Great player.
    He gets called the same from me as well. And its not in admiration.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    I think you have to take the spending of City into account and here is why.

FSG probably think like Spurs/Arsenal what is the point of spending an extra lets say £40-60m when the difference in money back is small.

Some wont like this but the reality is out of 5 seasons you would guess City win at least 3 of them possibly 4.

I do however think it is clear we need FSG to spend extra just in case they have a collapse season so we can nip in potentially.

FSG have been unlucky with the timing of Covid as well we havent had chance to make the most of it and im bitter as a fan we didnt get the parade we deserved.

FSG wont change we know that, so we all know what the other option is and how many fans are going to admit they want a sugar daddy ?!

Our league at the minute is lucky it is competitive to some degree but if this lot at City bought United instead the league would be like Germany/France with only one winner.
    Good post. The no celebrations/party must have been rough af.

Think we can be a bit more ambitious in terms of competing for league titles though.

There was a time not so long ago a few thought we could never win the league without a sugar daddy.
    Unlucky not to be on 20&7 so I'd be a little more optimistic on our ability to win the big titles. Not this year though sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Why would you post a table with city's net spend on it so ? O

Why not just look at our own financials.
    Can't be 14th in a league table of net spend without bringing up the other sides.

You seem to be able to post net spend, articles with city in them and wonder why I'd bring up city.

I've picked city as they have been our main rivals in a footballing sense and have the best squad.

Is there another squad you'd like to look at instead ? You can post another squad if you like.
    Precisely because it shows that we are 14th in a table of 20.

It didn't just show City - it reflects the array of other clubs willing to spend more overall than record earning Liverpool FC. It seems you are fixated with City.

They have spent shite loads more than us ( none of us expect us to come close either ) and they have won a shiteload more than us too. So what? United have spent similar and won barely anything in the same time frame. Again so what.

Every club is at a different stage. United are spending to catch up - City are spending to stay ahead... We are...? What are we doing CC?

It looks to me like we have said. Oh right that's it - win the CL -didn't cost much to do it. Rake in the profits and don't re invest. At least that is what happened in summer 2019.. and by February 20 - 6 months later the team ran out of steam. This summer - too little too late.
    Last edited by Steveo; 9th February 2021 at 06:11 PM.

Simple really - we have the best manager in the world - have done for over 5 years. He has more than proved what he can do when given licence to buy just 2 truly world class - sort after players. Ok one of them is missing for now - and boy does it show - but the time has come to invest properly. Year on year - otherwise you get caught with your pants down.

Precisely because it shows that we are 14th in a table of 20.

It didn't just show City - it reflects the array of other clubs willing to spend more overall than record earning Liverpool FC. It seems you are fixated with City.

They have spent shite loads more than us ( none of us expect us to come close either ) and they have won a shiteload more than us too. So what? United have spent similar and won barely anything in the same time frame. Again so what.

Every club is at a different stage. United are spending to catch up - City are spending to stay ahead... We are...? What are we doing CC?

It looks to me like we have said. Oh right that's it - win the CL -didn't cost much to do it. Rake in the profits and don't re invest. At least that is what happened in summer 2019.. and by February 20 - 6 months later the team ran out of steam. This summer - too little too late.
    Not sure how you see me as being fixated with city, it's been the running theme of the pl for 3 seasons pretty much. They and we there main rival over that time. Maybe you haven't been focused on city in a likewise manner.

Also I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take the position that we were physically drained from not adding in summer 2019 which I also think was a mistake (not adding) and can see your point there, but not with how we have not recovered or refreshed over the duration of lockdown 1.
    City were off it last year too and only brought back to speed really in the last 13 pl games. I've asked you and Miller how we explain that and simply suggested that perhaps we like city have slumped after a few cracking seasons of football.
    Theres been no period of lack of transfers identified by them or issues with their net spend, except by city fans who feel he hasn't been backed.

The Glazer's being business men too, are spending as they are at risk of losing their position and revenue from their sponsorship deals which have lingered off fergie's achievements.

Well the addition of Thiago on a high wage and Jota a decent fee could have not been purchased. There were plenty of people including the lfc journo class who were poo-pooing the idea we could add in the era of covid.

"There is no shame in losing to a team of Manchester City’s exceptional class or being outwitted by a coach of Pep Guardiola’s endless inventiveness. The only shame is in not responding. That is the challenge for Liverpool now."

Lost a cl final invested heavily enough.
    Won a cl final only added taki in january.
    Won a pl added thiago and jota and a back up left back.

We've added quality players each season:
    16/17 Mane, Gini, Joel
    17/18 VVD, Ox, Salah, Robbo
    18/19 Alisson Fab Keita Shaq
    19/20 take adrian
    20/21 Thiago, Jota, tsimikas

We are 14th in the pl net spend table as we have sold players really well, bought players really well and as a result done really well.
    Leaving us pay off the training complex, right down the main stand and keep debt really low.
    I hope it also means we will have money when we need it this summer.

"The central question is whether the club’s owner, Fenway Sports Group (FSG), will respond....... All the indications are that the summer will be another period of retrenchment, of the seeds of success left unsown, and the fields of Anfield Road lying fallow."
    First return to the CL under klopp made a final, lost a final.
    Brought in the right players and won the cl the following season, amassing an incredible points tally finishing second.
    Didn't buy any players of the top end or proven variety, won our 1st pl title again and incredible points tally.
    Another period of retrenchment of the seeds of success left unseen and fields of Anfield road.. incredible piece of writing, it's just a pity it doesn't connect well with the reality of the club.

I'm not surprised there is no focus on cities owners, nor their escape from their cl ban which would have had massive implications for their on book earnings and future spending/finances should they have wished to return to the cl under ffp regulations, abetted by the shithouses at the cas.

He'll have a pop at lfc for availing of a facility for their employees as employers and tax payers, hiking ticket prices and dropping them when protests occurred- which isn't an unusual thing.
    But not a whisper of city, guess he's not obsessed enough

I expect and hope we will see investment this summer.

No doubt Klopp is a massive part of our success.

Simple really - we have the best manager in the world - have done for over 5 years. He has more than proved what he can do when given licence to buy just 2 truly world class - sort after players. Ok one of them is missing for now - and boy does it show - but the time has come to invest properly. Year on year - otherwise you get caught with your pants down.
    He's here still 2024 and hopefully beyond, he'll want to leave us in better shape and build a second side with the younger elements of this team.
    Having money in the bank as you rise up is a wise and prudent approach. He'll have learned from Dortmund, where he's a loved figure still.

We shall see.

So glad we have that money in the bank - with interest rates where they are we could make literally a good few Bob. Priorities