Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter / Summer Windows, what / who do we need? Na

We absolutely need to get a forward in this January, Bobby's hamstring is quite a lengthy one according to physio room and it's the second time it's gone this season already, and we have Mo and Mane and Naby away at Afcon, so we only have 3 forwards, no options from the bench and one of those forwards would be Origi, that's not nearly good enough, not for a side challenging for top honours

And we need that other top quality mid who can play LCM RCM controller and No6, we need that desperately, Keita's away at AFcon, Old Man Millie's hamstring is continually going, he can only play about 1 game a month realistically, his body is breaking down, and none of Ox, Jones or Minamino are good enough or can play the press and counter press properly or understand how to play it properly

Again, that's not me saying we MUST play that way, it's the way we do play, it's Jurgen's way of playing and a huge part of our system, and if we're using one mid who doesn't understand what they're supposed to be doing in conjunction with all our other players and their own position (which we are pretty regularly with Fab), we often can't execute our game plan properly and give chances away, if there are 2 of them, it's even worse and so on, Fab's a firm Jurgen favourite, like Gomez and Robbo, so he'll play and if we still had Gini and we had Gini and Hendo either side of him, it's not that bad, he will give chances away, but not as many and we can carry him as Jurgen wishes, but if it's him and one of the other mids too, that's not a good scenario at all
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    We absolutely need to get a forward in this January, Bobby's hamstring is quite a lengthy one according to physio room and it's the second time it's gone this season already, and we have Mo and Mane and Naby away at Afcon, so we only have 3 forwards, no options from the bench and one of those forwards would be Origi, that's not nearly good enough, not for a side challenging for top honours

And we need that other top quality mid who can play LCM RCM controller and No6, we need that desperately, Keita's away at AFcon, Old Man Millie's hamstring is continually going, he can only play about 1 game a month realistically, his body is breaking down, and none of Ox, Jones or Minamino are good enough or can play the press and counter press properly or understand how to play it properly

Again, that's not me saying we MUST play that way, it's the way we do play, it's Jurgen's way of playing and a huge part of our system, and if we're using one mid who doesn't understand what they're supposed to be doing in conjunction with all our other players and their own position (which we are pretty regularly with Fab), we often can't execute our game plan properly and give chances away, if there are 2 of them, it's even worse and so on, Fab's a firm Jurgen favourite, like Gomez and Robbo, so he'll play and if we still had Gini and we had Gini and Hendo either side of him, it's not that bad, he will give chances away, but not as many and we can carry him as Jurgen wishes, but if it's him and one of the other mids too, that's not a good scenario at all
    I believe you are correct in us needing to sign a forward in the January window but think it's fair to say we would be wasting our time trying to get a really top end player.Obviously any player coming to us at such time will know once the AFCON event is over they would not be a 1st 11 selection and not many top end players will want to come to be bench warmers.

Gleison Bremer could yet be a surprise January addition as Jurgen continues to build his next generation CB pairings and pave the way for Gomez to leave on loan as he is allegedly unhappy with the playing time he is getting, despite it being entirely obvious to everyone else that Virgil, Matip and Konate are all miles better CBs than he will every be

6m price tag too - bargain
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 9th November 2021 at 12:27 AM.

we need a really phsyically strong midfielder. we dont wanna end up going back to the days where we play excellent football and dont get results.. We had some pretty weak midfielders over the years.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    we need a really phsyically strong midfielder. we dont wanna end up going back to the days where we play excellent football and dont get results.. We had some pretty weak midfielders over the years.
    We need midfielders who can actually play the way Jurgen sets the team up and understand how they need to play it and what their responsibilities and jobs are, as Souness revelled in frequently pointing out, the midfield of Gini, Hendo and one other, be that Fab, Milner, Keita, Ox etc etc 'BULLIED' opposition midfields, not by kicking them about the place, by not giving them any time or space on the ball and consistently being absolute on point in playing Jurgen's tactics and system

if the midfield had a rework, we'd win the champions league, and prem...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    if the midfield had a rework, we'd win the champions league, and prem...
    We'd be sitting pretty on 33 points right now if we hadn't let Gini go, Jurgen's system has always had a midfield controller, a No6 and either a second midfield controller, or a more attacking midfielder depending on the opposition and tactical plan for that opposition

Our midfield, when we were winning trophies and bullying opposition midfields, had 3 players who could play No6, 3 who could play as a midfield controller, that consisted of just four players Hendo, Gini, Fab and Milner

Our other midfielders were attacking midfielders - Lallana, Shaq, Oxlade, Keita all of whom frequently flattered to deceive and showed precious little consistency and spent more time in the treatment room than on the pitch

What we have now is:

2 players who can play No6 Hendo and Fab, both with short to medium term injury issues over the past 2 seasons

2 players who can play the controller role in Hendo and Milner, with Milner having persistent and regular short term injuries if he attempts to play 2 games in a row

5 (FIVE) attacking midfielders in Elliott, Keita, Oxlade, Minamino, Jones

1 not sure what he is, a player to help manage games when we have a lead, also with persistent injury niggles Thiago

It's a right royal fucking mess and what we try and use the so called attacking mids for, playing that triangle with Mo an Trent, well both Hendo and Milner can do that job as well as any of them and drop as a controller. We can't rely on Millie's fitness to consider him a potential first team regular any longer though

So we're left with 1 controller Hendo and 2 No6's Hendo and Fab and Fab always has mistakes in him with his positioning in the press and his limited passing so needs that controller alongside him, we're a No6 and 2 controllers short and we've got 6 other midfielders who aren't good enough and we don't have time for Jones and Elliott to learn on the job

Maybe the thinking is a more attack minded midfield or was, but it hasn't worked and isn't working, for all the moaning people that didn't get our system constantly did about our uncreative midfield and their lack of goals and assists, I'd be far happy with Gini still here, and a fit Hendo at No6 and a fit, 5 years younger Milner, I never created of whined about those things, because for me, they made our team and Jurgen's system function through their reading of the game, understanding of the system and their positioning being so astute so much of the time - What we have now is a fucking unbalanced mess, even with all players fit and if they could stay fit

Edit: To me it boils down to the same issues as players not understanding the system and not being able to play the plan for teams as necessary, the letting our left flank, once the most feared in European football go to absolute shit, and poor transfer policy, it's people taking their eye of the ball and complacency, all round including from FSG

They seem to think Jurgen can continually produce a silk purse out of a sows ear and that every promising academy youngster who is homegrown can become another Trent, because buying homegrown costs a lot, buying any player costs too much in their view and that after several absolutely amazing buys that almost all of worked out brilliantly, largely due to the manager and system, our recruitment process is infallible and every purchase will be equally as successful as past ones and no signing will be a mistake
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 9th November 2021 at 03:30 AM.

We're at a point we were at when we paid the going rate and what was necessary for Virgil and Big bear right now and FSG have to make 3 big moves and pay the going rate and there needs to be a fire sale of sorts to get some wages and players off the books - I don't have any faith in them whatsoever to do that, but to me we need

Chiesa, Rice and Bellingham - to start with

Minamino, Oxlade, Gomez, Milner (end of season or joining coaching staff) Origi and Thiago all out for me, not what we need, Jones to get more time to develop used less frequently and bring the Brazilian lad Bremer in for the 6m during January to replace Gomez, then we have 2 pairs of reliable Cbs - 3 HG out, 2 in, 3 foreign contingent out 1 in

We need an overhaul, a quite significant one and FSG have to use the funds being generated to do that

Thiago was bought when it became increasingly apparent that Gini wouldn't get another contract. As a replacement it has been like bringing in Aquilani for Alonso

Bring Gini back, he is not playing and not happy there