Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 811121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Firmino...

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    What would folks do with Bobby?

Sell and re-invest?

Keep and use as depth/sub instead of someone like Origi?

Keep and use in a different position, such as one of the "8s" in our "two 8s and a 6" set-up?

Keep and use as a "10" in a 4-2-3-1 set-up?
    100% keep him I agree with Steveo he was left out a few games and was excellent at Spurs.

I dont know if he is on the slide as such he just needs a rest from time to time otherwise he will be next for an injury.

Basically we could do with 5 options plus maybe Harvey next season.

Origi/Shaqiri will have interest in them just depends who comes in for them

Eliot is a bit young to be relied on in my opinion..I think we need an experienced wide man..
    Has for Firmino he wouldnt get in my starting 11.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Eliot is a bit young to be relied on in my opinion..I think we need an experienced wide man..
    Has for Firmino he wouldnt get in my starting 11.
    Thinking about it we need more as its African Nations in Jan/Feb.

Wish they would just play it after the season its annoying to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Thinking about it we need more as its African Nations in Jan/Feb.

Wish they would just play it after the season its annoying to be honest.
    Yeah, depends where its located.. if its Mid Africa.. it doesnt matter what time of year they play it. its boiling hot. If is the north you can understand it being played that time of year.. But its a pain in the arse

Just looked its being played in Cameroon, And its 30c in January not much difference than in July.

I never try and judge any player in isolation, I judge them by how they affect the team dynamic or how the team dynamic changing affects them

To be fair to Bobby most players have been well below their best levels and levels of the last 2 seasons and there are numerous reasons for that.

We stopped playing the switches and attempted balls over the top almost entirely, they were a huge part of our being so good and creating situations against park the bus sides where we'd most often switch play right to left, having congested it on the right and have Mane and Robbo and one other, quite often Bobby or Gini with more space on the left and the opportunity to release Mane, Robbo or the other through the channel or down the line and because we had congested play on the right and the PTB defenders had turned to go to the situation on our left, we had an overload of 2-3 players on our right all with the run on defenders who'd turned their back on them should we try and cross the ball or put it in low or attempt a short through ball to a player coming in from the right. That's all but disappeared now and is the fundamental reason we've been struggling to break PTB teams down, the automation of a lot of our movement and play of the prior 2 seasons isn't there anymore, through enforced changes and tinkering.

I did warn, quite extensively of this happening and the danger of tinkering with or changing things that worked brilliantly for us and disrupting the best elements of our game that were so automated in numerous match threads, from the very first time I saw it happening, I was slammed for that opinion, yet here we are

Mane and Robbo both started the season absolutely on fire, on fire, the automation was there, the understanding was there, the familiarity of position and movement and when and where they could expect a switch or attempted ball over the top were all still there.

Jota has been absolutely superb since he arrived, so please don't take this as any slight on him as people usually do, but when Jota was brought in, is the same time Jurgen started tinkering with Mane's positioning and runs and in the very first game he did that I called it, because Robbo was making his customary lung busting surges forward, with the ball or to receive the ball, looking for his mate and partner in crime Mane, where he'd always been for him the past 2 seasons and Mane wasn't there, bang, automation gone, speed and directness of doing things gone, extra passes that weren't being played before, more time for defenders to adjust their positions and get back, immediate issues breaking teams down, creating chances and scoring against all teams, not just PTB sides.

There are a lot of thins that have changed or been changed unecessarily, changing and breaking down that relationship and automation is THE biggest gaffe of all of them

Stopping playing the switches and attempted balls over the top and instead trying to pass through teams is another major error that wasn't forced on us

Not recognising the value of the fluid midfield 3 we had in all games Fab was out last season was another

Every single one of these things affects Bobby and other players, Bobby frequently used to link up with Mane and Robbo following a right to left switch or attempted ball over the top, coming on to the ball with the play in front of him, as opposed to trying to play through sides and constantly feeding it into his feet with his back to goal when 2 or 3 opposition players were surrounding him and he could never get turned

In the fluid 3, one of those 3 always covered the opposition player of transition and stayed with that player come hell or high water, although starting at No6, this meant Henderson was actually our high pressing destroyer and creator for long spells of a lot of games and right across the line too, not just centrally, because all 3 covering each other and interchanging positions gave him the freedom and confidence to do that, Hendo high pressing and quickly arriving on the scene in support of Bobby to stop him being crowded out was a big feature in our play and if you'd care to watch Bobby's winners v Spurs and Wolves for brilliant examples of that, it'd be very hard for you to disagree, but they weren't isolated instances, it was a very regular thing, I'm quite sure there's a Hendo goal v Southampton through the same thing, Bobby with the assist.

So, before writing off a club legend like Bobby, maybe consider everything that has changed and affected him and all the other players that his link up with was crucial to his ability to perform and that the strength of this side has never been individuals taking the game by the scruff of the neck and scoring wonder goals from nowhere, but the consistency of selection and formation and the strength of the 11 on the pitch working in unison
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Just looked its being played in Cameroon, And its 30c in January not much difference than in July.
    Almost as though it’s in the tropics..

I'd also add that dropping the switches and attempted balls over the top almost entirely when we used to play those balls from Virgil, Hendo and Trent and to a lesser extent Robbo and play several of them every single game has dramatically reduced the number of opportunities Bobby gets to actually get forward in support of them, facing goal with the whole picture in front on him free of the 2 or 3 that smother him every time we try to play it to his feet with his back to goal, which is how we have played the ball to him far too many times, almost all the time in most games
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

When he’s on his game, he’s worth the admission fee on his own. Technically brilliant. Unfortunately, that’s hard to sustain, and that’s when he needs to keep it really simple; forget the flicks, tricks and back heels, just link up the play. sadly that’s a part of his game that needs work.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

To be fair to bobby doesn't help him that those before him was incredible, we've always had a top top number 9, normally one of the best positions on the pitch

Torres
    Suarez

And those before.

Apart from balotelli/carroll/lambert era

People go on about son and kane, but the bromance between Gerrard & torres was the one
    Last edited by Kev0909; 24th February 2021 at 02:46 PM.