Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555 ... LastLast

Thread: European Superleague teams to be announced today

@LEGS - not saying that US businesses value money more than any others. What makes them different to any other owners and why I am against them entering this game is one thing.

What we call football is simply not their sport. They have absolutely no attachment to it - it is purely a commodity and that is a bad thing when clubs are part of communities. A terrible thing in fact.

I agree with you Steveo im not a fan of this myself but as I have said you cant be surprised with this.

I dont think it will go ahead anyway my guess or soultion to this is maybe we or all premier league clubs get to PPV their own games.

Oh lord no - no surprise sadly.

And your point about Sky and the Premier league is absolutely true. That was the start in a way. The moment United became a PLC - it was always a risk that we would end up here.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Strange, I was reading an article yesterday on the BBC Sport website that mentioned a change to the Champions League format - 36 teams with each side playing 10 games before qualification and knock-out stages (if I remember correctly).
    This decision regarding the European Super League raises all sorts of questions:

How's it going to be financed?
    TV coverage?

If, as mentioned, there will be 20 teams then it's going to be in direct competition to the current national Leagues (Premier League, La Liga etc.).
    Presumably if it went ahead then the teams involved would be unable to participate in domestic knock-out competitions and also be ineligible for the Champions League, Europa League.

Diabolical. Don't agree with it at all.
    To be honest I'm not keen on the Champions League format being changed either.
    I just read that JP Morgan are apparently ready to underwrite the entire effort for £4.3 billion ($6 Billion) worth of financial backing, and reports coming out of Italy are that DAZN and their billionaire owner Len Blavatnik (through his Access Industries) have been in talks for a while regarding broadcasting rights as well as for the general formation of the league.

Also, word is that clubs will get an initial 310 Million each as an entry fee (probably slightly higher for the higher tier clubs like the 6 Prem clubs).

On top of that, the individual clubs will have greater control (read : a larger slice of the pie) on broadcasting redistribution fees, marketing and endorsement deals and branding fees. Certainly more than they get right now in their current leagues. You can see why this would be enticing to, especially the bigger clubs of the big leagues.

So it seems like the wheels have been moving on this for quite a while now, if you have numbers like that being thrown around.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

why don't the owners of these top clubs ask their fans? most of us don't want it. seems the greedy owners are running for this no one else.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    @LEGS - not saying that US businesses value money more than any others. What makes them different to any other owners and why I am against them entering this game is one thing.

What we call football is simply not their sport. They have absolutely no attachment to it - it is purely a commodity and that is a bad thing when clubs are part of communities. A terrible thing in fact.
    Honest question :

Do you believe US owners are better than /worse/just about the same as....

- Middle Eastern Oil Sheikhs
    - Russian Oil Barons and Oligarchs

Because let's be honest here, the rot was already in the game before the Yanks came into the scene.

They just saw that others were making out like robbers and bandits and decided to get in on the action.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

It says on sky is what makes this feel different is the sheer level of planning that has been going on. Its obviously been in the offing for a long time. 5 billion already fronted! Could be a major game changer this even if it doesn't go ahead.
    The power of the big clubs gets stronger wether it happens or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Honest question :

Do you believe US owners are better than /worse/just about the same as....

- Middle Eastern Oil Sheikhs
    - Russian Oil Barons and Oligarchs

Because let's be honest here, the rot was already in the game before the Yanks came into the scene.

They just saw that others were making out like robbers and bandits and decided to get in on the action.
    Exactly. The only reason for any oligarch or US franchise owner to want in was out of greed and not for the love of it.
    I wonder if FSGs recent investment from Redbird has had any bearing on their involvement?

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    why don't the owners of these top clubs ask their fans? most of us don't want it. seems the greedy owners are running for this no one else.
    Are the fans doling out the dough to buy million quid transfers in the transfer windows?
    No?
    Are they putting upfront the money to expand their stadiums or build new ones? No?

Then it's hardly surprising that they don't get a say.

There's a reason why German clubs are not part of this and that has to do with the fact that in Germany the fans ACTUALLY own the clubs.

..as in LITERALLY,...... since no commercial or private parties are allowed to have greater than 50% stake in ownership of any club. Which de facto means the clubs are owned by their respective fans; which in turn means a decision like this can't be made without their say so.

It's a great model (in theory) for other leagues around Europe to follow, but it also means or ends up meaning that your league is skint when it comes to financial power outside the large clubs in large cities (with massive fan bases and thus membership).
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    It says on sky is what makes this feel different is the sheer level of planning that has been going on. Its obviously been in the offing for a long time. 5 billion already fronted! Could be a major game changer this even if it doesn't go ahead.
    The power of the big clubs gets stronger wether it happens or not.
    I'm hoping it doesn't go through.
    But regardless, even without it doing so, the scare of almost happening will (hopefully) be enough to put the fear of God into these corrupt and shoddily run organizations (the FA, the PL, UEFA, FIFA et al) to clean up their acts and get their houses in order.

As I mentioned in the Champion's League thread, this year's semi-finals are going to be contested by 3 Oil Baron owned clubs with the other effectively being the plaything of a monarchy - and one of the Oil Baron clubs only just fresh out of having successfully appealed against their justified ban from a couple of years ago for trying to skirt the rules, and that being a ban that would have seen them miss this year's competition as well if they had served their punishment in full like they were supposed.

If anyone doesn't see there's a problem with that or with what the impact on the game in general is, then I really don't know what to say.
    Stone-Cold Savage!