Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Just read about that. Not exactly a thrilling link, hes a good player but not better than what we currently have. Say's a deal us unlikely due to the fee.
    I don't know much about him. but "IF" Jurgen likes him.Thats good enough for me
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Perhaps in a minority here, but I'd actually take McGinn if the price was about half that - we'll go £25m for talk's sake.

He's tenacious and could probably be moulded into the 7/10-every-week sort of player that can be so useful in a squad, particularly with Klopp's guidance and being surrounded by the midfielders on our books and the sort of "positive" pressure that can bring to a player to elevate themselves.

£50m though is a bit of a joke of an asking price.
    Yeah, always the same for the big clubs when want to sign players from other teams. They price their players to ridiculous prices.

Good points Sid. He is a solid performer for Villa.
    I remember many years ago my self and plenty of fans being very underwhelmed about a guy called Gary Mcallister who we signed. Turned out pretty good.
    Not a flashy name but guys like Mcginn do a great undersung job
    That's just it isn't it. So easy to overlook a player because they aren't Jonardo McGinnho.

Wijnaldum wasn't a "spectacular" type of link when we acquired him as there's always a bit of a stigma about players coming from relegated sides but he went on to be a very useful cog in our progression and who is to say that McGinn couldn't come in and fulfil a decent chunk of that role? Or, depending how you look at it, Milner's - he might very well be having his last (playing) season with us in 21/22 and although you can't replace what he brings off the pitch, his on-the-pitch minutes could be partially (or fully?) covered by someone like McGinn coming in, who is available quite a bit historically in terms of injuries. Has Premier League experience and would know Robbo as well so potentially a quicker transition into how we play.

It would be relative of course to pricing, but if it WAS £25m or so and that was funded by, let's say, Grujic and Wilson moving on (who we didn't use at all in 20/21) then surely most could say "well shit, that is really good business" - whereas if we dropped £50m on him (more than Jota) it would be a massive eyebrow-raiser.

Have to wait and see. If the price is right I'd be open to it.

Agree Sid. The price is the factor, 50m is just ridiculous but its dealing with and English club so the premium goes up automatically.
    Like you say 25m would be a good deal but he won't go for that figure with him being one of their best players.

Would have been more simpler to give Wijnaldum the 3 year contract with a pay rise. He was only on a reported 70 grand a week,Thats a bit tight fisted for a player that was a massive success and gave everything .If the club ain't willing to pay him. can't see us signing anyone near 50 million. Anyway I know for the first time last week i questioned Gini and him going to PSG. But hearing lately how he was treated its pretty pathetic.

Agree Sid. The price is the factor, 50m is just ridiculous but its dealing with and English club so the premium goes up automatically.
    Like you say 25m would be a good deal but he won't go for that figure with him being one of their best players.
    John McGinn (soon to be 27) signed for Villa 3 years ago for €3.1 million.
    Signed a new 5-year contract last December
    Transfermarkt prices him at €30 million.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Would have been more simpler to give Wijnaldum the 3 year contract with a pay rise. He was only on a reported 70 grand a week,Thats a bit tight fisted for a player that was a massive success and gave everything .If the club ain't willing to pay him. can't see us signing anyone near 50 million. Anyway I know for the first time last week i questioned Gini and him going to PSG. But hearing lately how he was treated its pretty pathetic.
    I understand what you're saying in terms of him being a valuable servant to the club and that he wasn't costing us the Earth. I like Wijnaldum a lot and there's a BIG part of me would have been very happy if he stayed.

However, if he does, then in 3 years time you would be looking at -

Henderson - 34
    Wijnaldum - 33
    Thiago - 33
    Van Dijk - 32
    Firmino - 32
    Salah - 32
    Mane - 32
    Fabinho - 30
    Ox - 30

Unless you're Man City, Chelsea or PSG, you probably can't afford to be replacing 5-9 players who are in the "first 17" of your squad over the course of 2-3 windows, so we need to look at doing our work a little more gradually.

It's part of the reason I love seeing us linked to players aged 21-25. You can totally see (age-wise) why we brought Keita, Ox and Fabinho in - they're still "only" 26, 27 and 27. Two of them (mainly injuries) haven't really worked out in terms of becoming constant presences in the starting XI, but in terms of age profile we had done the right thing targeting those players. In theory 2 or 3 of them would be in the "main" midfield three (rather than the bench options) whereas you can only really say Fabinho has been a "success" in that regard.

Those three should have bought us time - Mane and Salah certainly did - Mane has given us 5 seasons already, Salah has given us 4 - and they still have more in the tank - with Firmino (already here) having given us 6 seasons now. Ideally you want to bring in similar profiles of player - I think Firmino joined at age 24, Mane at age 24 and Salah at age 25 - you want to "repeat the trick" as it were, if you can, supplemented by even younger signings and academy prospects to keep the ball rolling.

The main thing to avoid is what we have witnessed happening to Barcelona. They have combined hanging onto players for too long with big wages, plus not getting their long-term replacement targets quite right.

Wijnaldum (in isolation) looks a loss, for sure - but with Curtis Jones breaking through (even though I don't think he is quite ready yet) and Thiago having joined to help "evolve" the side, you can see the logic looking at the big picture - and more tough decisions will lie ahead.

Van Dijk - 32
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

I hope those McGinn links are total bollocks. He shouldn't be anywhere near this club for any money.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    I hope those McGinn links are total bollocks. He shouldn't be anywhere near this club for any money.
    Why? Hes a good player. His work rate, productivity and results piss on players like Ox and Keita.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Expecting tenuous Renato Sanches links in the coming days.
    I would happily swap him for Keita.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!