Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Thiago analogy

He'll be are best midfielder next season, unless we buy a top class CM which I doubt, but you can hope.

Haven’t Jurgen and Mane himself alluded to sadio seeing some medical guys to try get to the bottom of his physical decline this season. Must be a huge factor in his loss of form. Have to say I think he’s looked quicker and stronger in recent weeks. Yesterday he had a pretty poor game but he looked fast and strong again. Just seemed incapable of using the ball correctly. He’ll be back next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    He'll be are best midfielder next season, unless we buy a top class CM which I doubt, but you can hope.
    I think we absolutely need to add Rodrigo De Paul as the more attacking midfielder to use at RCM and LCM in games like yesterdays and other ones and situations to give us what Keita, Oxlade, Shaqiri and Minamino were bought to give us for those games and situations, but consistently failed to deliver, and there'll be game in which it suits us to start Thiago and De Paul and games in which it suits us to start one or the other and physically the players can't start every game.

I think Thiago is going to be absolutely brilliant for us next season, the adjustments he's made to use his abilities to best facilitate our style of play are brilliant, but how he played for years, most of his career prior to making those adjustments will never leave him, in the sense that we'll have a midfielder of his passing and playmaking ability who can be brilliant being more dynamic and direct, but we'll also have a player who in games he's been rested, can come off the bench in games we're a couple of goals to the good and be that metronome and manage games for us
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Some of this passing is Hendoesque, some if it's different and has things Hendo doesn't have in his locker and better, only critique of what is some excellent passing I have, is that some of those balls, the switches to Robbo, the longer balls, he needs to put back spin on them, they look flashier than Hendo's the technique looks sexier, but it isn't because Hendo hit those types of ball as accurately, as well, they got where they were going as quick if not quicker, weren't sent as high to come back down, but the back spin made them ultimately way better types of that passing

The back spin makes them way easier to control, to pluck out of the air, to take a first touch on that sets it exactly where you want it and need it, Thiago's are all more difficult to control and running away from the players, and if you hit a ball in behind the players' going to have a real chase to catch, the backspin makes it slow up when it hits the turf

Works on short to medium through balls on the deck too, the technique's almost like a stabbing action slightly using the outstep or top of the foot stab, it's the same technique as you use to hit a snooker or pool ball when you want backspin on it, if you practice it you can absolutely whizz the ball through the gap on the deck and play it so the backspin slows it down when it's through the gap

Anyway, I digress, quality from Thiago

Had a couple of really good games

Hopefully these last few games the beginning of what we will get next season. A settled quality back four with him playing with Hendo and either Fab or a new guy and hes only going to get better.

Encouragingly, 2 or 3 of his longer passes and switches were played with backspin last night, I loved his game last night as well, made the play excellently and intelligently, had spells of being further forward looking to create and assist directly and spells of being the deepest playing his longer passes and balls through the lines, the link up to release Robbo or Mane wide left with one of his now more direct longer diagonals or switches, to then move further up the pitch, receive the ball back and release Trent wide right with a flighted ball through the channel, those ones he does need to make up and down balls with backspin too, played one the same for Robbo the opposite way too, but because both had top spin rather than backspin they both just ran away from Trent and Robbo too much, when with backspin they'd have been able to tee another one of our lads up

Besides just being bloody brilliant, I want to add something else on Thiago, which was particularly evident against Crystal Palace.

He is bloody sneaky. In a way that I like. He isn't diving around a la Suarez or Bruno Fernandes (which is a trait I hate) but he does have the capacity to clock up a few fouls before he gets a yellow and also did something today (without being TOO much of a shit about it) that I haven't seen from one of our lads for a while - he actually was working at the ref to get a Palace player sent off.

He's got juuuust the right amount of cynicism about him for me. I wouldn't want all of our players to be like that, but you need one or two. We are a real treat in our fair play overall, which is a joy to see, but when it comes to crunch games, you want someone in the side with this quality. It's easy to picture a mid-March match against City or United where we need the points and he plays a part in helping us get them via how we "works" a ref during a game - and the same can be said for a match in a Champion's League knock-out clash.

I wouldn't want him to go too far with it of course. But we are "too nice" sometimes and he will provide a bit of counter to that.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

yeah hes starting to impress me now as well. Hopefully its a start of things to come..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

https://vimeo.com/559062590

He is a wee bit good.