Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rule changes for 21/22

Rule changes for 21/22

Handball rule has significant changes for the coming season. Seems a lot more will now be down to the ref's judgement:
    https://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/2021/6/7/22522397/ifab-releases-2021-22-handball-law-changes

Expecting similar announcements soon regarding VAR

These changes to handball aren't at all effective, not at all surprising the word 'subjective' is used in our mobs explanation of 'new rules' the use of the term subjective obviously having been introduced to try and excuse bias from officials making wrong decisions after they had realised VAR took away much of their power to affect the outcomes of games

For me, the laws/rules as to what constitutes numerous specific fouls and offences need to be a lot more detailed and specific to remove officials ability to use 'subjectivity' as an excuse to try and affect the outcome of games. We had so many instances last season and our lads more than most, in which what all fans came to accept and recognise as a foul for certain offences was given as a foul in practically all instances, except for when the same foul was on one of our players, with 'subjectivity' being the excuse not to award a foul for offences given in all other instances.

The update on offsides wasn't good either, talking about making the line thicker, that's not adequate either, it's still nothing but guesswork, the issue with a single pixel line was always that the point the ball left the players foot was frequently unable to be precise because of the frame rate of the footage, so the thicker line should only be used in instances when the frame rate doesn't pin point the exact moment the ball was played and although still not ideal, there should be a calculation of what fraction of a second the frame rate is out from when the ball was played on average, and the average distance per second forwards in our league travel and the width of the thicker line to be determined through that
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

What annoys me about these Premier League meetings, especially after all the fucking self serving drama and hyperbole creating about 'Football being for the fans' over the proposed ESL, is where is the fans representation in this fucking process?

What 'should be' THE most important thing in any such discussions is to removed the subjectivity bollocks and write the laws/rules accordingly so what 'The Fans' know and understand to be a foul, is consistently given as a foul, there should not be any room or place for the bullshit 'subjectivity' by which officials don't award fouls for exact same instances of the same offence all fans understand to be a foul and that in practically all other instances is always given as a foul, except for when it suits the Premier League's, FA's and refs association purposes to not give it as a foul

They'll never get the handball rule correct. since its subjective. They will still make huge errors either way..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Offside is so simple and easy to implement. Cameras and lines are not needed at all. Each shirt should have a gps tracker and then we know in an instant if a player is offside the instant a ball is played. No silly thick or thin lines which fail to account for relative depth.

Handball unless explicitly outlawed in all instances (extremely harsh) IS a real problem. Like any form of foul - It will always be subjective and wide open bias.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    They'll never get the handball rule correct. since its subjective. They will still make huge errors either way..
    Some instances under last season's rules weren't subjective, they were mandatory fouls, the ball hitting a players arm or part of it with the player having his arm raise above his shoulder, even if from really close, was a mandatory foul

They're removing that now, so they can just give what they want to give when they want to give it and be as bent and corrupt as ever without being called out or held to account for failure to apply the laws of the game, which they were guilty of not doing when it suited them a few times last season

To me it's all a nonsense the only rule changes should be to lock down far more stringently what constitutes a mandatory foul without any room for subjectivity, so that there is consistency and transparency for all players and especially for the fans

I think widening the line for offside must help with marginal decisions. Hopefully it is about 10cm to allow for errors in the technology.

The new handball rules sound disastrous.
    They make it sound like if a player raises his arm to help his jump and then the ball hits his arm then it's ok.
    Can't see it lasting very long.

Just another way for VAR to cock it up once again, like they do on most other decision-making.

Shambles again.
    Authorities should look at the inconsistencies that we see throughout a season, and attempt to sort that out.
    19x is right, the fans should have some input into this decision making process.