Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I'm sure having the little junkie in their team didn't hurt. Don't in any way see how that demonstrates they had a poor squad though, provided that's your point.
    They didn't have a poor squad - but it was a pretty average Argentina - was considered too much by most to expect anything much even with Diego. Were simply well fancied by bookies because Argentina were historically one of the top nations.

But honestly that doesn't sound too dissimilar to the most of the squads Messi had, no? Iirc they were well fancied in 2006 - I absolutely love that squad (but a bit too early for him personally I guess) and in 2014 where they made it to the final and lost a game they arguably should have won.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

But honestly that doesn't sound too dissimilar to the most of the squads Messi had, no? Iirc they were well fancied in 2006 - I absolutely love that squad (but a bit too early for him personally I guess) and in 2014 where they made it to the final and lost a game they arguably should have won.
    No way - Messi has not once been in a squad as ordinary at the Argentina of 86 - at least not for me. That is the whole point. He has been in with multiple stars and hasn't looked good enough - not good enough to win games on his own and certainly not to win a world Cup.. Watch him recently against Croatia FFS in 2018 he is just another player. GET IT..? It isn't the toughest job in the world when you start your career in the best club side on the planet after being at the club since an infant. Then Playing with 2 of the best midfielders in modern history BOTH at the same time - surrounded by other players good enough to wiactually WIN world Cups - PLUS a 2 horse league AND officials ready to send off anyone who even farts at you. On the world stage to date - outside of that bubble he hasn't been close to even Ronaldo let alone Diego.

Amazing off the chart success with Barca - no doubt but we need to see more to be compared to Diego in 20-30 years.
    Last edited by Steveo; 4th November 2020 at 06:35 PM.

A lot of you on here won't remember the 1970 Brazil team. I've not seen a better international team since, the ones that DO remember it will know what i'm saying.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

I was too young but have seen the games - I haven't seen a team come close to that level. Brazil 1970. - wow they were just too good.

And on top one of the greatest ever players who IMO is absolutely worthy of the GOAT title - don't think you can really ( even though Diego is my personal ) call it when players reach the Pele/Maradona level. it's just the very top.

I don't think it's at all obvious that Argentina side of '86 was more ordinary than the '10, '14 and '18 sides. Pasarella is afaik somewhat widely considered as one of the best ever CBs and Burruchaga was a top top striker.

But it's hard for me to judge, as I wasn't really there. All I can do is compare it to other sides from the time and how I perceive them and they seem to stack up halfway well - which means little, as I really don't have the info. Who would you say was better player for player than Argentina in '86 (let's say starting 11, so this doesn't get out of hand)?

I think there will always be a debate between them. The younger Argentine blows Don Diego (and pretty much everyone else) out of the water when it comes to career stats and is possibly on course to become the most decorated player ever, but as you say, he did play for a better club side than Diego for at least the vast majority of his career, if not his whole career.

Besides, I have a sneaking suspicion there's absolutely nothing Messi could ever do that would convince someone like you that he's clearly better than Maradona. This could be well founded, mind you - could be that Diego was just that good. Could also be that you;'re just misty eyed looking at an idol from your youth, like people from my generation look at Zidane (to a lesser degree obviously, Zizou shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath and Pele and Maradoa) and place him in their all time 11s (which I just find laughable). I mean Zizou was good but he wasn't that good.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 4th November 2020 at 06:50 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Re: Brazi 1970

GK 1 Félix
    RB 4 Carlos Alberto (c)
    CB 2 Brito
    CB 3 Piazza
    LB 16 Everaldo
    RH 5 Clodoaldo
    LH 8 Gérson
    OR 7 Jairzinho
    OL 11 Rivellino
    CF 9 Tostão
    CF 10 Pelé

I mean... that's just unfair.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Re: Brazi 1970

GK 1 Félix
    RB 4 Carlos Alberto (c)
    CB 2 Brito
    CB 3 Piazza
    LB 16 Everaldo
    RH 5 Clodoaldo
    LH 8 Gérson
    OR 7 Jairzinho
    OL 11 Rivellino
    CF 9 Tostão
    CF 10 Pelé

I mean... that's just unfair.
    Indeed Bali. I didn't really get to see Pele until the 70 finals. 4 years earlier he was literally kicked out of the world cup by Hungary and Portugal in the group stage, part of the reason they didn't qualify for the quarter finals.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Indeed Bali. I didn't really get to see Pele until the 70 finals. 4 years earlier he was literally kicked out of the world cup by Hungary and Portugal in the group stage, part of the reason they didn't qualify for the quarter finals.
    My old fella was at both those games at the home of the BS.

That entire World Cup was doctored so the host nation had a huge helping hand.

FYI - Eusebio was the player he described as far and away the best that he saw in 66..
    Last edited by Steveo; 4th November 2020 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    My old fella was at both those games at the home of the BS.

That entire World Cup was doctored so the host nation had a huge helping hand.

FYI - Eusebio was the player he described as far and away the best that he saw in 66..
    Yes he was a great player Steveo.