Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: What you watched last good or bad.

The Irishman, Bloody brilliant. The acting was unreal and a brilliant story.
    I loved it as its very like Goodfellas which is my favourite film.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    The Irishman, Bloody brilliant. The acting was unreal and a brilliant story.
    I loved it as its very like Goodfellas which is my favourite film.
    Watched it last night, will watch it again but a good watch. 3 and a half hours.
    Reckon the soundtrack could be worth getting, nice music.

There was a half hour or so, where anytime I saw someone I was thinking he's gonna get whacked. Even the person narrating as an older Man which doesnt make much sense
    But it had that vibe and atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    There was a half hour or so, where anytime I saw someone I was thinking he's gonna get whacked. Even the person narrating as an older Man which doesnt make much sense
    But it had that vibe and atmosphere.
    I know it's wrong but the Mobsters back in the day were cool as fuck .

I've never got the appeal of 'gangster flicks'. There are enough corrupt, evil, violent and morally reprehensible people in the world as it is. I for one certainly don't want to spend my leisure time watching a few more.

But would you spend your free time watching a few more of them get their just desserts?
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    With every passing episode of the Mandalorian I get the feeling that it should have been an animated show.
    It all seems very "low stakes" to me. I don't really see the point of casting Pedro Pascal in the lead if they're going to keep him under a helmet and armour all the way through and digitize his voice.

Still, I'm sure the baby Yoda toys will be in the shops just in time for Christmas...

I don't mind it being low stakes - Logan died protecting like 5 kids after having saved the world like four times. That's fine.

I just don't get the point of making it live action - if you want it live action, give me one hour episodes where everything doesn't seem to predictably follow ALL the tropes and has time for character and setting development. Give me some time to stew and take in the atmosphere. This feels ultra rushed.

This sort of ultra short intro, leading to a short fight with a clear and on the nose moral message a three year old could understand is what I'd expect of a decent animated series due to lack of time and money. Not this.

Hell, the 2003 micro series by Genndy Tartakovski was way better at creating atmosphere and character development than this. Though to be fair it was better than most of the films too.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Just saw The Irishman. Damn. Seeing all those actors at once for what is probably the final time. It was a pleasure. Amazing cast and a pretty damn good film. It felt old school and I loved it. Think I'll need time to think about it to fully assess how much I liked it.

Also this song is glorious:

Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    But would you spend your free time watching a few more of them get their just desserts?
    Most gangster films seem to be about different gangs waging war against each other. I like to have someone to root for.

They're just not my thing.