Page 97 of 698 FirstFirst ... 478790919293949596979899100101102103104107147197597 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Do we genuinely think that FSG wouldn't spend the money on a midfielder if Klopp wanted one?
    Klopp on new midfielder

"We always look to strengthen and we always did. It must be the right player, and if the right player is not available in this moment we tend to deal with what we have. It would be cool to have a new midfielder in, of course."

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Do we genuinely think that FSG wouldn't spend the money on a midfielder if Klopp wanted one?
    Who knows,It's all supposition from us.
    It does look like a bit of a dig from Klopp but maybe we are reading too much into it.
    It may hinge on shifting Keita, I won't be shocked or sad to see him go. It does look like he's after a way out.

"We always look to strengthen and we always did. It must be the right player" (we can't afford a mistake) , "and if the right player is not available in this moment" (can't afford tho prise him away) "we tend to deal with what we have" (we have to make do as best as we can regardless of outcome). "It would be cool to have a new midfielder in, of course." ( pleaaaase boss - pleaaase get me a new midfielder FFS!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post

The forum has identified the high rates of injury within the midfield. Which putting favouritism aside, the issue of love, is a factual based argument.
    With respect to the forum you see, I'd suggest in this instance the forum is a more honest and accurate assessor.
    I disagree with that.

Firstly, the attrition rate for our midfield last season was fairly low. There was generally plenty of cover and rotation.

Secondly, Utd have just spent big, massive, on a 30 year old midfielder. This forum has focused on all the good things about that midfielder and ignored his age. If he was one of ours, he'd be part fo the ageing midfield .

19x has a totally different critique of our midfield to most on here - he thinks they are all inadequate. Unlike the forum in general, he loves Henderson. He was expecting three new midfielders this summer. Ha Ha bloody Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    I disagree with that.

Firstly, the attrition rate for our midfield last season was fairly low. There was generally plenty of cover and rotation.

Secondly, Utd have just spent big, massive, on a 30 year old midfielder. This forum has focused on all the good things about that midfielder and ignored his age. If he was one of ours, he'd be part fo the ageing midfield .

19x has a totally different critique of our midfield to most on here - he thinks they are all inadequate. Unlike the forum in general, he loves Henderson. He was expecting three new midfielders this summer. Ha Ha bloody Ha.
    You can look at their injury records over their LFC careers.
    Naby Keita had the highest number of starts last year in PL & CL. 19 iirc.
    Which shows how heavily Klopp depends on his first 3 midfielders.

Yeah, united signed a top DM, paying over the odds as they're desperate. We got less for Mane off Bayern a similar age. His age was highlighted by a few
    He's clearly an improvement on what they have at the club. All these details were in the thread I read. Maybe you didn't see them.
    For me Casemiro is a Madrid Legend. Won shit loads with them, and fucked off for a good fee for the club. As fans what more could you ask for from a top contributor to the side.

Yes, 19 has high demands, and it doesn't align with the rest of the forum.
    I think most love Hendo, just not to the same extent as 19.
    He's my first midfielder in our best 11 in a double pivot, or a 3.

For me the majority of forumites would have been pleased with a younger midfielder coming in, whose good enough to be used a fourth first team midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    For me the majority of forumites would have been pleased with a younger midfielder coming in, whose good enough to be used a fourth first team midfielder.
    So would I have been, although Elliot and Carvalho means we effectively have two of those right now. Given that I don't know what the club has been planning for that eventual transfer, I'll wait and see before throwing the dummy out of the pram as their planning and squad building has been second only to Man City in the last few years (and arguably better by some measures).

You said the forum was factual based. But we had improved injury rates last season and it looked like better squad rotation - a self enhancing circle. There's no reason why that won't continue once this blip is over. And we may or may not see other teams beset with injury problems. These things are unknowns.

Our budget is based directly on our income. As our status has risen, so too has our income. That's why our spending keeps rising. No other reason, which cannot be said elsewhere. What people want on here is for us to spend more than we earn - welcome to the human race

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Arsenal £118.86m £16.02m -£102.84m
    Chelsea £109.07m £7.20m -£101.87m
    Notts Forest £85.28m £4.50m -£80.78m
    Newcastle £59.40m — -£59.40m
    Tottenham £91.71m £34.53m -£57.29m
    Man United £65.13m £8.55m -£56.58m
    Southampton £50.76m — -£50.76m
    Crystal Palace £31.14m — -£31.14m
    Brentford £31.95m £3.24m -£28.71m
    Wolves £36.90m £9.00m -£27.90m
    Fulham £34.74m £18.81m -£15.93m
    Aston Villa £49.50m £35.46m -£14.04m
    Bournemouth £10.71m — -£10.71m
    Liverpool £77.22m £72.63m -£4.59m

Once again that's pathetic you telling me the clubs above us are all racking up debt then ??? why can't we spend more than most of them?
    Every club will have different situations.

- How many of those clubs paid £110m on a stand in recent years?
    - How many of those clubs paid £50m on a new training centre?
    - How many of those clubs are spending another £80m on the development of another stand?
    - How many of those clubs have committed a £20m wage boost over the next 3 seasons to their star player?

Whilst some of those clubs will have done similar things in some areas (training centres for example) not all of them will have done....all of them.....very clunky English on my part, granted.

Another factor for a club like, let's say, Arsenal - is that they'll be spending big money in an attempt to break back into the Champion's League so as to get their hands on the revenue that comes in from that tournament - "speculate to accumulate" and "high risk, high reward" - on a purely business level it doesn't make much sense for us to do so as we will be "shopping" less often, as there is a finite amount of players who can -

- Elevate the quality of the starting XI whilst...
    - ...actually being available to buy, whilst....
    - ...being willing to accept a non-Oil wage whilst...
    - ...being young enough to contribute for a while...

That's not to say we shouldn't spend, but we should be very selective about where we do. No point lumping £30m on a midfielder that will be way down the pecking order for example.

A club like Man United might buy a midfielder for a big fee and in big wages (Casemiro) in the later stages of their career, but they will only leave themselves having to buy again in a few years time. We on the other hand are keen to target the right age level and quality whereby we don't get fleeced, don't have to spend twice and aren't left with players where a big wage is going down the sink - there isn't a lot of "waste" in our squad really, besides some misfortune with injury-prone lads.

We also have 8 mids at the moment - whilst I wholeheartedly would love another top quality mid right now so that we don't "stand still" I do think the number of games we will have where we genuinely can't field 3 midfielders is pretty slim and most of our lads are pretty good when fit/available - though we can always strive for better of course.

We also have a "hidden" cost in wages as we tend to re-/negotiate long contracts relatively regularly to tie our better lads (or those we see promise in) down - we've negotiated an extension with Elliott this season already, having done so about 12 months ago.

None of the above is said to disparage your stance by the way - I'd love a mid and it would be nice for fans not to feel that "one player short" feeling, though I do think we forget to credit the club with assembling a really good squad to begin with - how many clubs do we hear saying they need 3-5 players in (often allegedly for the starting XI) to improve?! That's thankfully not our situation right now.

Thing is they haven’t ‘paid’ that amount on ground improvement and training (which was very much needed).

They have taken long term loans out against the club. One source mentioned that the group (FSG) were the ones who loaned the club the money with high interest rates but I’ve not seen anything to confirm that.

Christ a few people on here are deluded, you'll see eventually.

if you're happy with us going backwards well, fair play.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Christ a few people on here are deluded, you'll see eventually.

if you're happy with us going backwards well, fair play.
    Im giving FSG benefit of the doubt until the anny rd is finished, as they wont go higher than the threshold of having to put in a rapid transport link. I'd like to think they are increasing capacity with the end game being increased funds for new players and improved contracts for certain players but if that isnt seen to happen then we'll all know they are in it solely to build FSG higher and higher rather than the teams they own. Some think that way already, some are unsure.
    Midfield being the hot topic - aside from utility man milner, jurgens first choice 3 are the oldest of the 8/9 in the pool. 1 arguably isnt played in his most effective position, 1 arguably isnt very good in his position and the other is injury prone (no debate there). I think JK is planning to phase out that first choice 3, bringing in 2 signings this summer and next whilst giving elliott, carvalho a lot of time too.
    we have already apparently lost out on the french lad and as we know theres always backup options to our first choice targets that have been identified so why wasnt one signed this window?

come next summer there will be loads of offers for Bellingham, if he doesnt hold his nerve and state hes only signing for lfc then we wont get him. newcastle, chelsea, utd and real will all pay him a higher salary.

A title push isnt a given, a top 4 place isnt a given either. To lose out on things like that by assuming the manager can drag the squad to 90+ pts would be criminal.

JK would need to leave any new manager a brilliant squad in 2-3 yrs to make up partially for the loss of his leadership.