Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232627282930313233

Thread: Match Thread : Brentford v Liverpool

Robbo was continually the deepest man not Jota 19, I have watched it again and Robertson is not holding the line set by Virgil.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Robbo was continually the deepest man not Jota 19, I have watched it again and Robertson is not holding the line set by Virgil.
    I saw 2 instances in which it was jota playing everyone on in replays, from set pieces, Robbo had been detailed to pick someone up on Trent's side in both instrances I saw, the main issue that game was simple, Brentford creating 3v2's v Matip and Virgil through Toney getting some joy off both and Fabinho ball watching the long ball and not tracking their midfield runner who was setting off to make that 3 as soon as every long ball was launched, it was a very definite and obvious tactic they must have tried over 20 times, at every opportunity in that game, it needed a No6, a midfielder in the centre

I expect Fab to be far better v City, they'll try and play through, he's a destroyer, that's his game, playing as a No6 or a DM against long ball football with a striker whose good in the air and can actually get some joy out of Virgil and Matip is absolutely not
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

If we want to challenge for anything this season 2 things have to happen

Have a spell with Hendo at No6 with 1 either side of him who is a midfielder who can read the game so we can get the press back to where it needs to be

Mane and Robbo put back in tandem on the left which both would benefit from and that would also allow Trent, Hendo and Thiago to play their quality switches and medium to long balls over the top on occasion

Those are the 2 key things that we have never got back to anywhere near where they need to be since we were forced to change how we play through injuries last season, having players with the ability of those 3 we have to play top quality switches and attempted medium to long balls over the top to either side or down the centre and not using them is absolutely criminal, something I expect from Southgate, not Jurgen

Robbo’s touch, passing, crossing and reading of defensive situations has been nowhere near good enough and have nothing whatsoever to do with where Manè is standing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Robbo’s touch, passing, crossing and reading of defensive situations has been nowhere near good enough and have nothing whatsoever to do with where Manè is standing at the time.
    We're not playing him as high either, for his 19/20 assists he was frequently further forward than Mane and released in good space and isolation through switches or longer balls over midfield, on a few, Mane ends up scoring steaming into the box with a diagonal run starting from behind Robbo

We simply haven't got the mechanics of how we play at our best back to where they need to be now we have the personell to do so, although, Gini and Hendo in midfield were key to that and we don't have one of them and didn't sign a similar type of player to play the role he vacated

A football team is like the human body, if you change a part of it or a part of it stops working as it used to, it affects other parts of the body, it's really that simple

Hendo saved a certain goal v Brentford too getting a vital foot in as last man having tracked a runner in pretty much the only instance he found himself in the No6 position, that Fab didn't even get anywhere near that persistent midfield runner the entire game should tell you all you need to know