Page 314 of 659 FirstFirst ... 214264304307308309310311312313314315316317318319320321324364414 ... LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    £80m + in 4 years . Every little helps
    To reinvest in the team
    Which is the case.
    No debt
    Well managed club
    Value of players at £1bn

Ungrateful support ... fixed
    To reinvest in the team? If I was you I'd remove those blinkers of yours and check out our net spend. I don't recall it being £80m p/a. More like a quarter of that per season.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see".

We do see your point about FSG but lets be right look where we are since they have taken over.

Compare that to where Utd have been in 8 years since Fergie left ....its not about how much you spend its who you spend it on.

Ole has spent £200m in a few windows not exactly doing him any good is it.

I wasnt keen on Lovren going at the start due to Covid season and short turn around of games.

Players get injured but today 2 of ours have been wiped out in an aggressive manner you cant prepare for that.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    We do see your point about FSG but lets be right look where we are since they have taken over.

Compare that to where Utd have been in 8 years since Fergie left ....its not about how much you spend its who you spend it on.

Ole has spent £200m in a few windows not exactly doing him any good is it.

I wasnt keen on Lovren going at the start due to Covid season and short turn around of games.

Players get injured but today 2 of ours have been wiped out in an aggressive manner you cant prepare for that.
    We are where we roughly should be i.e. at or near the top end of the league each season, and regularly getting to the pointy end of European competitions, though we're still not at the level where we can compete on all fronts.

I'm not denying that they've done some good work and have made us (for want of better terms) efficient, and coherent, but lets not kid ourselves. Everything they do is being done for one purpose and one purpose alone, and that is to line their pockets, possibly both in the short and long term. If project "big picture" didn't spell that out clearly for everyone, then they either can't, or don't want to see the true nature of our 'saviours'.

FSG and the Glazer's are just two sides of the same coin. It's just that our side is currently shinier and less rough around the edges. Just because we (largely because of Klopp) are doing well at the moment, whilst the red Mancs are struggling, it does not mean that everything is perfect, especially as it could be said that we are doing well 'despite' them, not necessarily 'because' of them.

If VVD is out for as long as we fear (never mind any other injuries and current 'shortcomings'), January will provide an indication as to whether FSG's 'modus operandi' is what I and many others believe it to be. The real test however will come when Klopp leaves. Unless we get very, very lucky and acquire another top/up-and-coming manager who can work miracles on a limited budget, I can see us becoming an 'also ran' once more.

As for being prepared, many of us predicted that we'd possibly/likely be in big trouble if VVD and the likes of Alisson got injured for any sustained period of time and we didn't have adequate backup, and we've already seen the consequences of our failure to prepare for that eventuality, one which didn't require a mystic to see it was nigh on certain to occur at some point in time.

FSG are business people so yes they want to make money but they will make more if we WIN.

Getting a top back up keeper is going to be hard as if fit Alisson starts every game and yes VVD is a monster of a defender nobody can replace him he is the best.

Matip and Gomez are also very good CBs lets not forget that we could do with another one but one of the kids might come in and do a good job who knows.

This season in all seriousness doesnt feel real anyway its the same for everyone but no fans is a downer but the real issue is Covid testing as you have no idea from one day to the next who is available or not.

I think City will win it this season but the door is open for a shock team to win it I just hope its not Everton.

I was thinking about this yesterday. If there was some perverse system in place where FSG could make a little bit more money through us getting relegated, I believe they would make sure we fell through the trap door. Making money is one thing. Making money at the cost of everything else (be it alienating all of your customers, staff, or in our case fans/supporters) is something else entirely, and not something any right minded person should endorse.

In terms of a good backup keeper, Crystal Palace just signed Butland for £1m. As for VVD, nobody expects us to get in another defender as good or expensive as him, but are you seriously telling me there isn't another player similar or slightly better than say Matip, who can be got for a reasonable sum of money?

Matip is for the most part a solid CB, but if he gets injured we have zero, fit, reliable, or proven CB's on our books. Yes one of our youngsters 'could' come in a do a decent job, but the likelihood is that they won't, and despite what Hansen said all those years ago, it's really not wise to expect to do well/win anything with a bunch of unproven kids in the side.

Given the state of all the other 'big' sides, this season is an ideal opportunity for us to join the list of teams who have managed to defend the PL title. As it stands that is now going to be a bigger ask than it should be, and should we fail to go back to back, 'our' reluctance to deal with obvious shortcomings is going to make that missed opportunity sting even more.

Depends what you mean by reasonable sum of money ?

Butland the same bloke who has been benched for a lower half championship club ? Seriously he will be 3rd choice here and cost £1m be on around £30k a week a lot for someone who if Alisson is fit wont be on the bench.

We are a big club but at best we are 4th biggest spending wise a few bad games or injuries you are up against it that is the nature of sport NOTHING is easy.

We might still win it yet but I doubt we will it was never going to be as easy as last season.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Depends what you mean by reasonable sum of money ?

Butland the same bloke who has been benched for a lower half championship club ? Seriously he will be 3rd choice here and cost £1m be on around £30k a week a lot for someone who if Alisson is fit wont be on the bench.

We are a big club but at best we are 4th biggest spending wise a few bad games or injuries you are up against it that is the nature of sport NOTHING is easy.

We might still win it yet but I doubt we will it was never going to be as easy as last season.
    For us (given our size, recent success and record revenues/sponsorship deals) anything other than a 'guaranteed first team goalkeeper' fee (we're talking at least around say £10m+) is reasonable. £30k a week is nothing for a club of our size. Some may try to make out that is a large wedge, but considering what we'd potentially lose by not having adequate backup, it's a no-brainer to have someone who can step in and do a decent job, despite the possibility that they could spend very long spells on the bench.

Alisson is one of, if not the world's best goalkeeper. Adrian however unfortunately is not, and he is also error prone. Just like with VVD and the rest of our CB's, you cannot tell me there isn't someone out there who is both decent and consistent, who fits in somewhere between the level of Alisson and Adrian, and who isn't going to cost a 'fortune'.

What do you mean we're the 4th biggest spending wise at best? Our net spend over the last few seasons has been around £20m or so. That is peanuts for a club of our size. If we are the 4th richest club in the world (which according to some sources we are), we should be able to afford quality back-up to key players. Nobody has said things are going to be easy, but whilst you cannot tell exactly what will happen, never mind when it will happen, there are some eventualities which are a distinct possibility, bordering on a near certainty, which makes a failure to put plans in place to deal with these possibilities/likelihoods extremely negligent.

Yes we could still win the league, but recent events and 'our' failure to prepare for these contingencies at best has made our task significantly harder, and at worst could end up costing us very dearly indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    For us (given our size, recent success and record revenues/sponsorship deals) anything other than a 'guaranteed first team goalkeeper' fee (we're talking at least around say £10m+) is reasonable. £30k a week is nothing for a club of our size. Some may try to make out that is a large wedge, but considering what we'd potentially lose by not having adequate backup, it's a no-brainer to have someone who can step in and do a decent job, despite the possibility that they could spend very long spells on the bench.

Alisson is one of, if not the world's best goalkeeper. Adrian however unfortunately is not, and he is also error prone. Just like with VVD and the rest of our CB's, you cannot tell me there isn't someone out there who is both decent and consistent, who fits in somewhere between the level of Alisson and Adrian, and who isn't going to cost a 'fortune'.

What do you mean we're the 4th biggest spending wise at best? Our net spend over the last few seasons has been around £20m or so. That is peanuts for a club of our size. If we are the 4th richest club in the world (which according to some sources we are), we should be able to afford quality back-up to key players. Nobody has said things are going to be easy, but whilst you cannot tell exactly what will happen, never mind when it will happen, there are some eventualities which are a distinct possibility, bordering on a near certainty, which makes a failure to put plans in place to deal with these possibilities/likelihoods extremely negligent.

Yes we could still win the league, but recent events and 'our' failure to prepare for these contingencies at best has made our task significantly harder, and at worst could end up costing us very dearly indeed.
    30 grand a week !!

A quick web search suggests karius is on £25,000 and Adrian £55,000 a week.

Theres such a gulf in class from Alisson to other top keepers that to get one whose not a top keeper and expect them to step up is a little too much expectation.

Imo Adrian played his part last year, then he made an error or two and hasn't stopped. Can't recall the stat but hes made a fair few since.

All in all you want your second tier keeper to play the Mickey mouse cups and that's it. You want your first team keeper to be fit.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    30 grand a week !!

A quick web search suggests karius is on £25,000 and Adrian £55,000 a week.

Theres such a gulf in class from Alisson to other top keepers that to get one whose not a top keeper and expect them to step up is a little too much expectation.

Imo Adrian played his part last year, then he made an error or two and hasn't stopped. Can't recall the stat but hes made a fair few since.

All in all you want your second tier keeper to play the Mickey mouse cups and that's it. You want your first team keeper to be fit.
    There's a big difference between expecting a keeper to be as good as Alisson, and having/expecting one who isn't prone to making errors, to the point that they are well known for such occurrences.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    There's a big difference between expecting a keeper to be as good as Alisson, and having/expecting one who isn't prone to making errors, to the point that they are well known for such occurrences.
    I think it's a lot harder of an issue to fix than you think.

We wont be able to entice a keeper nearly as good as Alisson to be on the bench mostly.
    So then you're looking at getting as best as you can get whose willing to be on the bench mostly.
    When you solve that problem, the solution will always be a big drop off. It's the downside of having one of if not the best goalkeepers.