Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415161718192023 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the world News

Also redebreck it's the eu whose negotiated the mercosour trade deal which is gonna play a role in Amazon destruction, though the Amazon is rather more robust and regenerable than many people think.
    EU citizens have a slightly smaller carbon footprint than yanks per citizen, probably on account of Slovakia and the other western blocs where in recent years they're are regions which still have hardy lifestyles cutting hay and silage by hand/scythe.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Cheers CC!

Had a bad feeling there was something rotten in the state of… Sweden.
    Yeah weird enough place at the minute.

According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions , if I'm reading it right, the CO2 emissions per capita in the EU are less than half that of the Yanks.

Are CO2 emissions per capita a different measurement to carbon footprint?? I'm confused.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Without getting distracted by semantics Greta Thunberg used the word "panic" but she was calling for urgency, like an emergency, the fire alarm went off ages ago and we've ignored it. Teenagers are realizing that their future looks bleak and governments don't care.

I don't agree with her on everything - and you can always nit pick - but essentially she's saying scientists say there's a problem and we need to do something but we're not doing enough, so what's the point of going to school when her generation are the ones that are going to burn? Fair fucks to her.

If faceless scientists say the house is on fire then nobody listens, but when a teenage girl with Asperger's says it then hey we've got media coverage.

The problem is we live in a culture of celebrity, Greta Thunberg has been made hero and villain, it's a pantomime and what is really important gets lost.

The way modern humans live is messed up. If a messiah was to come along to save us then she/he would tell us to change our ways, and we wouldn't like that so we'd lash out at them, spread lies to discredit them, and the messiah gets crucified. Greta Thunberg isn't the messiah but she isn't the problem either.

We're all in this soup together so we're all culpable and complicit, so we can all point the finger and catch each other out making money and consuming carbon - as if you are only the real deal if you ride in on a donkey and wear a loin cloth made from hemp and eat herbs.

A few years ago they used to reward you for air miles, now they punish you. Flight shaming is actually a thing now!

Personally I'm still not convinced by carbon. I suppose it's as good a metric as any to measure people's impact (do we measure plastic which contains carbon and is made from oil?) and if we can be measured then we can be defined and if we can be defined then we can be divided (and taxed). Meanwhile the world burns.

The government that would punish us for our carbon footprint is the same government that would have no environmental qualms about going to war over oil tomorrow...
    Last edited by stevie harkness; 24th August 2019 at 12:59 PM.

I assume the cost of things you use per year (like the oil needed to make plastic) is factored into the carbon footprint, stevie.

At least I hope so! Otherwise it'd be a pretty shite metric.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

I assume the cost of things you use per year (like the oil needed to make plastic) is factored into the carbon footprint, stevie.

I just wrote an essay and you picked me up on something I put in brackets?! :-)

I'd hope it's factored in too...

So our carbon footprint is linked to oil prices?

Who decides those?

I didn't realise until I watched that Ted/Asheville video, that not all plastic is made from oil.
    Wouldn't mind using biodiesel if I knew where to get hold of it, and it's not ridiculously expensive.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    I didn't realise until I watched that Ted/Asheville video, that not all plastic is made from oil.
    Wouldn't mind using biodiesel if I knew where to get hold of it, and it's not ridiculously expensive.
    Expense is the thing. As long as governments and corporations see money as the priority any environmental solutions must be cheaper if they are to be adopted.

Using nuclear weapons to destroy hurricanes is not a good idea, a US scientific agency has said, following reports that President Donald Trump wanted to explore the option.

BBC News - Nuclear weapons and hurricanes don't mix, NOAA advises
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49471093

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Using nuclear weapons to destroy hurricanes is not a good idea, a US scientific agency has said, following reports that President Donald Trump wanted to explore the option.

BBC News - Nuclear weapons and hurricanes don't mix, NOAA advises
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49471093
    FFS, didn't realise the man was that foolish.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief