Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finishing training

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Like the one your Mom has on her back?
    She’s no longer with us but I’ll try and pass on the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Nah, I'm not having that. That's poor craic 19.
    Agree tees BUT you can only expect so much from certain folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    She’s no longer with us but I’ll try and pass on the sentiment.
    I had no idea Steveo, apologies
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I had no idea Steveo, apologies
    Mate I do realise you were only joking... Don’t sweat it

They all need an education in better decision making as to when playing the percentages is the best option

That's been pissing me off for 3 seasons, it's really really basic stuff players should be taught when they're kids, when you have the opportunity to shoot and early and you have 2 or 3 of your players to your left or right with a raft of defenders looking to block or intercept any attempted pass or short cross to them, the best option is to absolutely drill your shot in early, low and hard across the keeper and you'll either beat him, he'll parry it out to one of our players to tap home or he'll parry it well and they'll clear, but playing the percentages in those situations is something we have always been piss poor at and what I'm describing presents by far our best odds of scoring when in those situations and we waste so many of them

I moaned about Robbo failing to do it in those situations loads of times, he did it once, once ever, the first time he has done it in the game v Villa I think, and hey presto, Mo's there to nod home the keepers parry, it's not fucking rocket science, it is really basic football intelligence we should expect from every professional player

The other element particularly against PTB teams is the full backs and Hendo putting those balls towards the penalty spot far post in early over the first defender or through the channel in behind the CBs fucking early, making sure they have enough whip to not go out of play, or if they do, they only go out for a throw deep deep in the opposition half, they're another thing that when we have done we've been very good at, but have rarely ever done, even though it's on for Robbo and Trent to do them 3 or 4 times a game each at least

It's another form of percentage, but it's another necessary one, the worst thing to do against PTB teams is play tappy crappy, in front of them and let them get settled and comfortable in a pattern of defending and improving in their organisation of defending like that as games go on because you're never trying anything different, when you're not playing early balls like that to make them turn towards their own goal and you're not playing attempted balls over the top and you're not having one of the Cbs drive the ball forward to make one of their line have to come out, you're never doing enough to unsettle or unlock PTB defences
    I don't think finishing is a teachable skill. You're either a natural finisher or you're not - Salah/ Mane/ Jota are wingers not strikers. Klopp's system and the number of chances created allows them to operate as strikers but you won't convince me they're naturals like Torres, Fowler, Suarez or Owen.

PS - Rashford - MUFC - same issue - a winger not striker (natural)

Absolutely true - we haven’t had a first team striker since Sturridge.

Honestly think had we had a player with close to Sturridge’s finishing ability around these last 3 years we would have won 3 times the trophies.

Name out the good strikers in the pl then. Very few actually exist these days.

Vardy and also Kane are both superb

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLFC View Post
    I don't think finishing is a teachable skill. You're either a natural finisher or you're not - Salah/ Mane/ Jota are wingers not strikers. Klopp's system and the number of chances created allows them to operate as strikers but you won't convince me they're naturals like Torres, Fowler, Suarez or Owen.

PS - Rashford - MUFC - same issue - a winger not striker (natural)
    Every skill is teachable, work on first time finishing and one touch out of feet and finishing and on playing the percentages A LOT better, I'd rather our players all did that and took the shots on when they're on, rather than take 2, 3 or 4 touches and then the chance has gone or the possibility of scoring has been significantly reduced

Robbo's shot for Mo's goal v Villa is a good example of what I'm talking about, one touch out of his feet, whacked it hard across the keeper early knowing Mo would be arriving in that area and have a chance of putting in any parry if the keeper saves it and Mo obliged

We need to be a lot smarter in how we move in our great situations to put one on a plate too, we're not smart enough in making runs to take players away and open up space, we often end up with 2 players in the same area effectively crowded each other out and making defending the situation easier
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

If the front 3 are not scoring we are in trouble, has been the case for a few years. Sign a midfield player or 3, who actually knows where the net is, because the current crop haven't a clue.