Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise part 2 - look away if you're superstitious

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Ah, it was my thread that did that. Nothing to do with objective facts
    No of course not but it makes me uneasy.

I have an irrational superstitious sense that the more we big them up the worse they do. Whenever I let my guard down and openly laugh at them - the same tragedy seems to happen to us.

This is worth a laugh though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59368631

I was one who thought Ronadlo wouldnt work. He doesnt run at all. You cant have passengers in the Premier league..When you play with Fernades behind him. Leaves you very short in midfield. You cant really control games that way..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I was one who thought Ronadlo wouldnt work. He doesnt run at all. You cant have passengers in the Premier league..When you play with Fernades behind him. Leaves you very short in midfield. You cant really control games that way..
    They are worse off with him in the team. They only signed him to stop him going to City.

Will take a brave manager to drop him and his £500k a week wages.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-DPG View Post
    They are worse off with him in the team. They only signed him to stop him going to City.

Will take a brave manager to drop him and his £500k a week wages.
    Yeah very true. bizarre buy,same with the rest of them. They get in Sancho a 21 year old and pay him 350 thousand a week. hes on more than any our players and Sancho has done nothing to warrant that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

Read the OP and look at what happened next.
    Care to explain this view point? I don't know what you are referring to. Do you think what happened next is they pulled themselves out of their demise? If so, I disagree.

I think it's quite possible they could pull themselves out of their demise, as we have done, and it will be impressive if they do. But in my view it isn't about finding the right manager, it's about changing the culture of the club, which is far more fundamental. That's what makes our long term debate so interesting - you can't see the change of culture that has occurred at our club. And presumably that's why you're so superstitious about things going right at their club with the wave of a magic wand.

I wasnt someone banging the drum for Sancho.when it comes to inside forwards its very difficult to know who will be a hit or a zit. Obviously its early days for him. But theres one thing our club wouldnt do and thats give him a contract of 350 thousand a week..2 million every 6 weeks thats just ridculous.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I wasnt someone banging the drum for Sancho.when it comes to inside forwards its very difficult to know who will be a hit or a zit. Obviously its early days for him. But theres one thing our club wouldnt do and thats give him a contract of 350 thousand a week..2 million every 6 weeks thats just ridculous.
    Mo Salah will do well to end up on those wages

Mo Salah will do well to end up on those wages
    Indeed, and he fully deserves it and more

Care to explain this view point? I don't know what you are referring to. Do you think what happened next is they pulled themselves out of their demise? If so, I disagree.

I think it's quite possible they could pull themselves out of their demise, as we have done, and it will be impressive if they do. But in my view it isn't about finding the right manager, it's about changing the culture of the club, which is far more fundamental. That's what makes our long term debate so interesting - you can't see the change of culture that has occurred at our club. And presumably that's why you're so superstitious about things going right at their club with the wave of a magic wand.
    I am pointing to the fact that in late January 2020 as we had all but won the title - it was proclaimed that United had demised. They were miles behind us at the time without a doubt and finished 33 points behind us. But Within a year of the thread starting they were double digits ahead and despite reaching a European final - AND our heroic 26 points from 30 run they STILL finished 5 points in front of us. That's a 38 point swing.

Being a natural pessimist I try to err against poking the bear that is fate.

IMO the culture at our club changed the moment Klopp walked through the door. My belief in the manager as the overwhelming force is well documented.

What do we think would have happened had Jurgen taken his sabbatical a year earlier and said yes to United's advances?

Scary thought

I also believe the filth are suffering massively as a result of the megalomaniac that is Fergie. He leers over the club like a towering demonic force. Everything is compared to his era. A very tough act to follow.

The Choice of Moyes as successor?? WTF seriously? Then when they went in other directions with Van Gaal and then Jose - he was kicking up a stink and disrupting everything - only to. lay his enchanted hands onto Ole's shoulders - who looked to have been given the Midas touch ONLY until it looked to be working. Then what happened?

I do not believe he genuinely wants them to succeed. Personally, I think he is in love with his own record and wants to be the one everyone talks about and thinks about when they picture a successful United.

His legacy is more worthy the longer they go without. It is just my opinion but there you have it.