Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise part 2 - look away if you're superstitious

Quote Originally Posted by jinky View Post
    I don't like this thread. There's just as much chance Utd win the league again before we do.
    Do you think they are on a good place at the moment, jinky?

Quote Originally Posted by jinky View Post
    I don't like this thread. There's just as much chance Utd win the league again before we do.
    Lads chat in pubs and on forums about rival sides all of the time.

Should they turn around and have massive success I somewhat doubt it will be this thread's fault.

They will definitely win a League again, they're too big and too wealthy not to. But having put up with them winning 13 League titles in 18 seasons, I'd say give yourself peace and just enjoy us being good and them being not-so-good in the interim prior to their resurgence they'll inevitably have, which is hopefully later rather than sooner.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Discussing what’s happening to them now is interesting, not only because they are our biggest rivals, but because we have also experienced something similar ourselves. A discussion about these things is a natural part of understanding football.

If you not only wish to stop intelligent debate about what’s going on but also want to stop people from deriving a small amount of pleasure from the demise of the greatest team in the world then I would suggest you may be a control freak.

We can’t control the future by not talking about it. Should the Glazers be reading this thread they might actually learn something, otherwise it’s fairly harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Makes our handling of Coutinho look majestic.

"our" = the club right?

The only thing I see as "majestic" in our handling of Coutinho's sale is the fact that Klopp showed the owners what £142 + in his hands can bring, namely the 2 major trophies. We don’t win either without that huge sale and double capture of WC talent both being integrated brilliantly into the team.

Klopp had to use the loss of his most creative asset to his advantage and did so brilliantly. BUT this was only because the CLUB had failed to source a genuine top-class CB and was STILL persevering with a Championship (being kind) level goalkeeper.

If you want to credit the club with effectively handicapping the manager then fill your boots. Had proper backing materialized again in Summer 2019 I would agree but it didn't, and never has really.

Imagine a world where Coutinho stays OR is replaced with similar quality and we still sign Virgil and Alisson. Imagine beating Real in Kyiv, then beating City to the title in 2018/19, then winning number 7 in Madrid and number 20 in 2019/20.

I know it sounds greedy - even fanciful, but it really isn't. We were so close to being that good. Now we are less than we were at the start of the 2018/19 season.

I know the little fecker wanted out - not challenging that - just asking the question.. What could have been..

As for the filth.. fook em. Who cares about them... don't let them live so freely here.

The biggest embarrassment is for them is to be an irrelevance for us ...as we were for so long for them.

Let's hope we can get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

The only thing I see as "majestic" in our handling of Coutinho's sale is the fact that Klopp showed the owners what £142 + in his hands can bring.

That’s because you’re obsessed with what the club hasn’t done and unwilling to admit was it has done well. I don’t even think this statement above is correct at all. The club has also showed Klopp their willingness to put together a squad that he can use to the maximum of the clubs resources. You may want to believe he selected those players himself but it doesn’t work that way - we know too much about the process to think it’s all Klopp’s work. All your stuff about the perfect squad is silly really - reality is a bitch.

Anyway, the way we dealt with Coutinho looks majestic in comparison to Pogba, who is a case of what could have happened

Coutinho
    He was distracted by Barcelona
    He was under a fresh long term contract
    He wanted to leave
    Neither the club nor the manager wanted him to leave
    They did everything they could to make him stay
    He became disruptive
    The club and the manager agreed to cut their losses
    They got an amazing fee for him
    He was missed but we improved and achieved our goals without him
    He became available again and we weren’t tempted

Compared to Pogba that is majestic

We all know what happened with Coutinho and none of us know what the club wanted.
    It was Klopp who didn't want to sell his captain.

Let's put it this way.

What happens IF Barcelona don't "distract" and then finally offer £142,000,000 for Coutinho?

Do you believe we go out and spend the £141,000,000 needed to capture Virgil @£75,000,000 and Alisson @£66,000,000?

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    We all know what happened with Coutinho and none of us know what the club wanted.
    It was Klopp who didn't want to sell his captain.

Let's put it this way.

What happens IF Barcelona don't "distract" and then finally offer £142,000,000 for Coutinho?

Do you believe we go out and spend the £141,000,000 needed to capture Virgil @£75,000,000 and Alisson @£66,000,000?
    I’m not interested in hypotheticals, Steveo. Especially not this tired one that you can’t let go of. The club has built an incredible squad and team. Be thankful.

And I was comparing the handling of Coutinho to the handling of Pogba. An interesting comparison - I have no interest in getting bogged down in your old obsession again. If you think there was discord between Klopp and the club regarding his sale, show some evidence. They seemed to be on the same page to me.

Oh well, let's just ignore my boring old obsessions then.

I thought it was an interesting question.