Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise part 2 - look away if you're superstitious

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Oh well, let's just ignore my boring old obsessions then.

I thought it was an interesting question.
    Which question - what would have happened if we spent loads of money and kept Coutinho?

It’s a distraction from the issue of whether the club dealt with him as a problem better than Utd have dealt with Pogba as a problem. Both valuable assets, both highly skilled, both available for a second return to the club, both begging to be sold, both in need of contract management.

I wasn’t talking about what our ideal squad would be, I was talking about how to deal with disruptive, valuable players. You’re the one ignoring the interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Which question - what would have happened if we spent loads of money and kept Coutinho?

It’s a distraction from the issue of whether the club dealt with him as a problem better than Utd have dealt with Pogba as a problem. Both valuable assets, both highly skilled, both available for a second return to the club, both begging to be sold, both in need of contract management.

I wasn’t talking about what our ideal squad would be, I was talking about how to deal with disruptive, valuable players. You’re the one ignoring the interesting question.
    Surely it is subjective as to which question is more interesting?

Think Pogba is a very different situation as they already owned him as a young lad - Fergie had to let him go for a measly £800,000 at the time and then the club went back in for him years later under a completely different manager.

I don't really see the 2 situations as comparable beyond the fact that they are both footballers. Pogba has become a problem but there are many problems clubs face they can't all be compared to the situation we were in with Coutinho can they?

In answer to your question, although it doesn’t belong in this thread, the answer is yes

I do believe it’s possible that.Van Dijk and Alisson may have been signed at the same time

The reason for that is the payment schedules for all those fees - I believe there is still plenty from the Coutinho sale that still hasn’t arrived for example. It wasn’t an instant payment

I would imagine the Keita signing would be the more likely not to happen - that’s 65 million. So yes things would be different but that is to be expected. No point crying about it for four years

Keita cost £54 at most - after an initial £48 million.

That really is still worth crying about

Man-united can afford to make loads of errors in the transfer market.. Look at Man-city the amount of money they have lost in flops is ridiculous. We made one error in Keita..And its been his injuries that as caused most of the issues.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Goals that kick off a 5-0 mauling of the Morgul Rats in the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie - priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Michael Edwards' laptop.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

3 points for everyone ..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

True.

Pogba has become a problem but there are many problems clubs face they can't all be compared to the situation we were in with Coutinho can they?
    He is an asset that cost £90 and probably could have been sold for similar at various points along the way. They were both top ten world talents at one point.

As I understand it his contract has run down so that he may now leave on a free.

Do they want him or are they glad to see the back of him? Who knows?

More than one manager has had problems fitting him in and had pressure on them to play him, whether they want him or not and whether he has been disruptive or not.

This asset has not been managed well. He hasn’t fulfilled his potential and they may lose him for free.

Coutinho on the other hand was used well, it was clear we wanted him as part of our plans, when he became disruptive he was shipped out at a great profit.

That was the comparison I made, which you objected to for all the old reasons that irk you so much and none of the reasons that I was talking about.

The added small point of interest is that he had already left Utd - they knew his character - and they brought him back, perhaps for similar reasons they brought Ronaldo back.

We had a chance to bring Coutinho back and we didn’t take it, so far as we know. That does further the comparisons and means it isn’t just like any other footballer

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    In answer to your question, although it doesn’t belong in this thread, the answer is yes

I do believe it’s possible that.Van Dijk and Alisson may have been signed at the same time

The reason for that is the payment schedules for all those fees - I believe there is still plenty from the Coutinho sale that still hasn’t arrived for example. It wasn’t an instant payment

I would imagine the Keita signing would be the more likely not to happen - that’s 65 million. So yes things would be different but that is to be expected. No point crying about it for four years
    To provide a different answer, I'd say we sign Virgil, get Keita as it happened (klopp was craycray for Keita) and possibly miss out on Fabinho or Alisson.