Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Nunez simply isn't that type of player, that's not his game, for Benfica he did all the things I expected we'd use him to do as I have described

When he did score headers, he was coming from a little deeper from the edge of the area, making runs between or across defenders, quite often having been involved in releasing a player from a deeper position central or wide and using which player received the ball (knowing his team mates) as the trigger for which type of run to make and making it at the point they received it/it was played to them when expecting a ball to be played first time

We've not tried using him how he plays, we've tried exactly what you suggest and so far that hasn't worked or looked like working, he's a right across the line type of forward who can get involved in play and build up and link play, not the big target man you seem to think he is

it's his finishing he needs to work on most, everything else is ok when he does get to play as he likes to, links play well, makes some very nice and creative shorter passes, makes good runs into positions right across the line, then the finishing let's him down, that's THE main technical aspect he needs to work on
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 18th September 2022 at 04:13 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

This is a striker. and a bloody brilliant one too.

Many also forget just how incredible Sturridge was... If the guy had even just an average injury record we would have won plenty with him I am convinced.

So if we are really looking closely at these wonderful signings Suarez & Strurridge - along with that of Coutinho - whose genius and ultimate sale kick started our launch to the big time... Then the key role played by a certain mr Rafa Benitez should never be understated.

It is well documented that it was Rafa who identified Suarez before Woy took the reins and long before Kenny Signed him.

From The Guardian:

One of the first assignments given to Dalglish by Rafael Benítez, after
    the former returned to the club as ambassador and academy figurehead in July 2009, was to scout Suárez at Ajax.

"We have known about him
    for three years," said the Scot, who will give the £22.8m striker a
    debut at home to Stoke City tonight, subject to international clearance.
    "When I came back here [in 2009] it was early on that we were looking at him, so when we were talking about players it was pushing at an open door regarding Suárez. He'll be a fantastic player and he's fantastic in the dressing room. For a Uruguayan, and a forward at that, to be captain of Ajax tells you something about the personality of the fella."

It was Rafa who was instrumental in us buying Coutinho from Inter and it was Rafa as interim Chelsea manager who made the Sturridge transfer happen.

Boy could we use a few favours now...

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    This is a striker. and a bloody brilliant one too.

Many also forget just how incredible Sturridge was... If the guy had even just an average injury record we would have won plenty with him I am convinced.

So if we are really looking closely at these wonderful signings Suarez & Strurridge - along with that of Coutinho - whose genius and ultimate sale kick started our launch to the big time... Then the key role played by a certain mr Rafa Benitez should never be understated.

It is well documented that it was Rafa who identified Suarez before Woy took the reins and long before Kenny Signed him.

From The Guardian:

One of the first assignments given to Dalglish by Rafael Benítez, after
    the former returned to the club as ambassador and academy figurehead in July 2009, was to scout Suárez at Ajax.

"We have known about him
    for three years," said the Scot, who will give the £22.8m striker a
    debut at home to Stoke City tonight, subject to international clearance.
    "When I came back here [in 2009] it was early on that we were looking at him, so when we were talking about players it was pushing at an open door regarding Suárez. He'll be a fantastic player and he's fantastic in the dressing room. For a Uruguayan, and a forward at that, to be captain of Ajax tells you something about the personality of the fella."

It was Rafa who was instrumental in us buying Coutinho from Inter and it was Rafa as interim Chelsea manager who made the Sturridge transfer happen.
    That little trio cost bugger all compared to today's transfer prices
    Suarez signed Jan 2011 for £22.8m
    Sturridge signed Jan 2013 for £12m?
    Coutinho signed jan 2013 for £8.5m
    So a little over £43m in total (or half a Maguire).

I remember people thinking we should have given Danny ward more chances

he's not very good.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    That little trio cost bugger all compared to today's transfer prices
    Suarez signed Jan 2011 for £22.8m
    Sturridge signed Jan 2013 for £12m?
    Coutinho signed jan 2013 for £8.5m
    So a little over £43m in total (or half a Maguire).
    Yes - but we got help with 2 of those signings...and Suarez was cut price after attempting to eat a colleague in the Dutch league.

We got £142,000,000 for Coutinho tho in 2018 and even a cut price Suarez ( after multiple munching incidents) was £75,000,000 in 2014.. so - swings and roundabouts..

Bring back David N'Gog.

‘Some’ (that’s not me btw) might say we signed his South American clone this summer..

Sturridge was a great finisher, not Suarez level of course. He didn't 'get' the club, or the fans, and the slightest little twinge of pain he would declare himself unfit to play and injured. Suarez carried loads of wounds from having lumps kicked out of him every matchday ,and played through it, through thick and thin.

Liverpool are interested in Shakhtar Donetsk winger Mykhaylo Mudryk, 21, who has been compared to Neymar.