Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Liverpool v Crystal Palace

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I think his first touch is poor in general, gets tangled up in his own feet. Early days and I said last week I'll gladly be wrong if he comes good but I'm not seeing what some others are.
    First touch can be worked on but he's much behind Jota Salah and Diaz in terms of link up play and control.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Despite the trouble we put ourselves in before Christmas, we finished just one point off. Villa defend a 2-0 lead on the last day and we win the League - that is how close it was.

With that in mind, it's worth remembering that last season, 4 of our 8 League draws and 1 of our 2 League losses came in the first 11 games.

From League game 22 to game 38 we drew 2 matches and won ALL of the rest.

As head-in-hands as our poor start has been, there's no way we can call the League over after 2 games if our most recent League season is anything to go by. We could win it, we could miss out by 20 points, we could miss out by a single point - we simply have no idea - but it isn't "over" after 2 matches.

There's 2 things we need to do - first is to find a way to grind out wins before the World Cup break, the second is to find a way to come out all guns blazing afterwards.
    Ah yeah of course city could hit a slump and we could win a few in a row. Even a win v a loss next wknd changes things and I was posting overly negatively. My point is more centred on the fact that recently it’s been taking over 90 points to get near the title and early dropped points require long winning runs to recover from leaving so little margin for error. It means your long winning run is only keeping you just in contention rather than taking you clear of your rival if you get me.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    That's an interesting statement. I've definitely seen a change in some of our fanbase these last few years. Not quite the "entitlement" that I associate with a certain generation of Man United fans, but there are definitely toys thrown out of the pram a bit more when we don't win, particularly since picking that 19th title up.

A shame really. The fight that we have had to get here. Souness, the exciting "not quite" years of Evans and the Spice Boys, Houlkier restoring pride, that 2001 Treble, Houllier's health, Rafa showing we could be a European powerhouse again, Fernando fucking Torres, Hicks and Gillett nearly letting us crumble to ruin, the Owl and his "famous away win to Bolton" before seeing the Return of the King, winning the League Cup with Kenny as Manager, the struggles to break into the Champion's League spots, efforts in the Europa League, coming so close in 13/14, the genius of Luis fucking Suarez, the heartache of Stevie's slip, the low of a 6-1 against Stoke S Stevie's last game, the Bedlam of being linked to and acquiring "the Normal One" and getting Champion's League football again - regularly at that - finally winning it after thinking that our season would be cancelled, 3 Champion's League Finals in 5 seasons.....

There have been ups and downs. The bad stuff made the good stuff all the sweeter. What's happening right now with a shaky start to 22/23 is just part of a never-ending story, with new chapters all being written. The lows are part of it so we can take this for what it is - which, in the grand perspective of this club's history, is the smallest of blips.

We have Klopp, we have Champion's League winners and League winners in the side, the stadium is bigger than it was, it's set to expand again very soon and we have a state-of-the-art facility. These are good times and if anyone thinks otherwise then God help them post-Klopp as they aren't going to cope.

Life at the top is hard - but we are so privileged to be here. For years we ACHED just to taste Champion's League football - now we complain that we might not win the League.....we absolutely have to keep perspective. That doesn't mean we stop trying to improve or "settle for second best" but we can't let entitlement creep in - we're not Man United.
    Great post, Sid.
    Many fans seem to forget what we've had to go through to get here!

Lots of effort, thought Robbo looked tired, don’t know why, he never really pressed.
    Trent was woeful and casual , he can’t think he can salvage his inclusion by doing the occasional. Beckham passes .
    Salah was caught offside 2 or 3 times, whilst running back….can’t check it but was he slow getting back or rushed going forward.
    Diaz was unbelievable, feel for the man. In prev games he’s done everything but score. What a work rate and the goal sublime.
    Nat was unfortunate pitched against Zaha but played ok.
    Harvey showed signs of class and certainly work rate, but it didn’t gel…..it will.
    Nunez……just tried too hard to prove himself, perhaps that’s why Jurgen has been holding him back ?
    Fabinho just ok
    Virgil just ok.
    Carvalho…wished he had been put on a bit earlier .
    Alisson great block or we wouldn’t have a point.
    Positives …..LUIS DIAZ.

Just miffed .

Don’t know about Jota, link up play is definitely a weak point of his game

I dont get how we are playing at the monent. we wanna rush everything and squeeze teams to death. by playing long then pressing the second ball. when being patient and controlling would help a lot. sure we have a lot of possesion. but we do anyway.. but a lot of the time we are running too much.. I dont know why we dont play 4/3/3 of Fabhino/Henderso and Keita and then a front 3 of Diaz Nunez (Jota) Salah. Yeah i know Keita aint the answer, neither is Thiago in my opinion
    You see Spurs go in for strong midfielders. we go in for the likes of Elliot and Carvalho

Don't get me wrong they may turn out to be excellent players . Just reminds me of the times we had the likes of Smicer and Luis Garcia.. they were good players. But never great and over all never won much with them (apart from the amazing 2005 final)
    all im really trying to convey. I prefer a solid 3 in midfield.. they dont offer u much goal wise.. But will Elliot and Carvalho?
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

That was the worst performance I've seen in years. Were to start? Trent, Fabinho Nunez, Robbo,Milner ,Jurgen. All were bloody awful . I haven't seen the sending off yet but no one seemed to argue about it .

Oh how football can kick you in the balls !!

He had a go at sticking the nut on him initially, then the defender grabbed his arm to remonstrate, so Nunez stuck his head in on the guy’s chin. Absolute cast iron red card. Brainless from Nunez.

Feel for you Ian mate. Bet that team sheet was a right knee in the fanny too.

Sorry you travelled all the way to see that. To be fair though - considering we had 10 - we did pretty fooking well.

Indeed, we were pretty good with 10, had Mo Salah been on it we would have won that game tonight.
    But he’s still not right.