Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: The rest of the season

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    That shouldn't affect what he's capable of doing.
    Possibly but have any of the midfield performed excellently since the loss of both CB’s?

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Possibly but have any of the midfield performed excellently since the loss of both CB’s?
    We haven't played well for a while aside from Tottenham and West Ham, you can carry a couple of players in a game but when most of them are sub par, you have a problem.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Thiago may well be a good passer of the ball. But hes not gonna get the space to pass little clever balls down the sides. of the players. they will get cut out a lot of the time. Teams have worked us out and we insist on playing the same way to get ourselves out of it.
    i will be interested to see who we sign in the summer.. teams will not change the way the play against us. they are happy with a draw and maybe nick a goal..
    Its hard to accept teams are sooooo defensive they make it impossible for us to get any space.to play in. But in the end its all about results. If they get a draw they are more than happy. Its how we change it. We wont win the league again playing the same way..

We have to find ways in the final 3rd and that's not over playing the ball. I would be happy if we got a player with a bit of physicality so he can attacker the ball in the air in the box. You can always get second balls then. Right now we will never score in a brothel. You can blame all the tiredness you want.. We haven't scored in 5 games in the last 7/8 games.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Andre Silva at Frankfurt is having a few good seasons.

One to keep an eye on.

The only midfielder who has that in him is Oxlade-Chamberlain, and he's hardly ever fit.
    Shaq has a decent shot too but last night he didn’t attempt anything from range.

What difference has Thiago made to the team ? Answers on a postcard.
    Skyebo, as with a lot of things you make such remarks about, pretty much the same as a lot of others to be fair, just please try, if you have it in you, to compare apples with apples, not with pineapples, way too many stupid things said and questioning of players going on here comparing performances and players to the last 2 seasons when we played with an incredibly settled 14 or 15 of our very best players and started the best 11 of those practically every game, when VAR was actually being used for the purposes of its inception and we didn't have a ridiculous fixture schedule, when this season is entirely different, trying to measure Thiago, Bobby any of them against theirs or other players form and performances of the last 2 seasons is a fucking nonsense

Let's maybe ask these questions when we get back to full strength and players have had a run of games with 9 or 10 of our best players, it would be more relevant
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

A decent run in the CL with some effort being shown, finish in the top four and I'll be happy with that.

Miracles do happen, but they need to happen with how we play first.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    He hasn’t been able to play in any kind of a settled side. Perhaps the only real glimpse we got was v the BS.. In the main after return from injury he has played in front of a makeshift defence AND behind an attack without any form. Not the easiest of introductions to be fair.
    Totally agree. Theres too much negativity towards him at the moment. Hes not able to do what he was brought in to do yet. Next season is probably when we see what hes capabe of.
    The defining moments in our lives are never planned.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Our best season imo was the 18/19 season where we had more tactical flexibility than last season.

Really our main issue is breaking down these stubborn defensive units.
    Whether that be an Atletico or a lower table side. The low block which we did get better at breaking down probably needs more tactical variation. Sacrificing a workhorse for a bit more flair.

One of the obvious differences between ours and peps city is the dynamic between wide forwards and fullbacks. They often play their attackers extremely wide which stretches the defense and makes runners from deep task of finding space easier.

Whether that be an inside run for a fullback to get a shooting opportunity or a midfielder breaking forward centrally. Both potentially getting into crosses too.
    Our wide forwards given their greater skill on the ball, particularly Salah with his close control dribbling but Mane too when pinned wide are a far greater threat than Robbo or Trent who typically provide the width in our attacking phases.
    You can't leave a player 1v1 with either in a wide position as if either beats a solitary man has a bit of momentum they are hard to stop.

Player quality will always have an impact naturally enough, but more tactical variation would benefit us massively imo. Also copying a few tweaks from peps setup wouldn't be the worst idea
    A few people believe it's their midfielders that make the difference, ie player quality, but their approach to possession football, wide wide forwards against buses can't be overlooked imo.

There are probably 6 or 7 sides we could use this approach with each season and they are sides who I'd normally expect to be dispatched with ease by city.
    This is where I am at too. For what its worth.
    I dont see why lasnite we needed both Gini and Milner, especially after the latter had played on sunday and hes 35.
    Jones came on sunday and made a difference yet was benched again, Ox- god knows what he does or does not do in training but if you cant get a game at home against Brighton in place of our veteran who had played 3 days before its not looking good for you.
    The defining moments in our lives are never planned.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    This is where I am at too. For what its worth.
    I dont see why lasnite we needed both Gini and Milner, especially after the latter had played on sunday and hes 35.
    Jones came on sunday and made a difference yet was benched again, Ox- god knows what he does or does not do in training but if you cant get a game at home against Brighton in place of our veteran who had played 3 days before its not looking good for you.
    its fatigue you see. Jones and Ox have played non stop all season..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century