Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4144454647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Liverpool v Man City

For reference dear 19x- IF you want to highlight stats - be very very careful.. OK..

When replying to Nineteenx you have to deal with 2 things. 1 Nineteenx and 2 His ego
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    I like the fact that he can judge how a player has played without actually seeing it! His ability knows no bounds!
    The commentary was atypical

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    He (Thiago) was our best midfielder without the ball, miles better than Fab who's supposed to be a DM but failed to manage one key pass in 90 minutes, even Elliott managed one, even the apparently woeful Henderson managed one in just 19 minutes - For future reference, if the plan is to sit and counter like yesterday, it will be a lot more effective if you actually play the one midfielder we have who can find and release our forwards from those deeper positions
    Thiago had a much better game than Elliot. Elliot 0 tackles and 0 intercepts runs around without impacting the game much at all in real terms.
    1st half his passing let him down and he should have moved it on to salah quicker on the edge of their box in a 2v1
    One of his better games, but still way off the pace imo.

Big fan of Thiago but I am not sure I agree. Elliott was very good considering the magnitude of the game and the position he was playing. He wasn't brilliant at all - should have had a couple of strikes on goal too - BUT he was involved in so much of our good work. His technique allowing us to be far more incisive. Doesn't take 2 touches when 1 is enough and will play a ball first time to gain advantage. He is young and has lot's to learn BUT that game was a big marker for him. IF he can continue to improve he is a starter.

Way off the pace..? No - no chance mate.

Last edited by Steveo; 18th October 2022 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Big fan of Thiago but I am not sure I agree. Elliott was very good considering the magnitude of the game and the position he was playing. He wasn't brilliant at all - should have had a couple of strikes on goal too - BUT he was involved in so much of our good work. His technique allowing us to be far more incisive. Doesn't take 2 touches when 1 is enough and will play a ball first time to gain advantage. He is young and has lot's to learn BUT that game was a big marker for him. IF he can continue to improve he is a starter.

Way off the pace..? No - no chance mate.

It's senior football, need to be able to tackle, intercept and foul.

Elliot
    2 shots, both blocked.
    Attempted 2 dribbles (stats), 0 successes.
    Dribbled past 3 - 8 for our whole team.
    Key passes 1
    Attempted tackles 3
    Tackles 0
    Fouls 1
    Dispossessed 0

I'm not trying to slate him, but these are what I'd call big boy stats. Blocked shots happen, but they're not good.
    Failed to beat his man on 2 occasions, got bet 3 times. -5
    Failed to convert an attempted tackle into a tackle.
    Got a foul in 👍if at first you don't succeed....
    Didn't get dispossessed, but he got turned over for one of his shots which was a 2v1 on the edge of their box.

With Trent he had to improve his defending, he did, and then he's been poor of late. Elliot needs to develop a streak.

He puts in a lot of effort, just got to get the returns up.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    He puts in a lot of effort, just got to get the returns up.
    I thought he did well, I believe had he not started we would have been far less of a threat. I think we. go behind. We don't have any ability to knit the play in the middle - especially so minus a Mane/Diaz as an outlet - not against a quality side like City. We had to maximise the Threat of Salah....and for me at least - Elliott did that pretty well.

I agree we need to see better - but considering his age - lack of games and the massive injury he took - I was impressed.

Not Elliott’s biggest fan but his performance on Sunday shows why stats alone can be so misleading. His movement was much better both in defending and at the other end. He was twice in a very good unmarked position in the opposition box where I think the occasion got to him and his first touch and defensively he got in the way and slowed down the opposition attacks on numerous occasions and though he didn’t win any of his 3 tackles remember he is a young lad playing against some of the best players in world football.
    Apart from that he wasn’t alone in failing to win challenges, we were poor as a team at that on the day.

Thought Elliott played his part on Sunday as they all did.

Agreed. I wouldn’t have had him starting at all tbh. I will happily admit to being deeply worried on seeing the lineup - but he stood up and mixed it with some of the best in the game. As did Milner to be fair. 2 players at opposite ends of careers - What a performance from him bTw.