Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 589101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Liverpool v Notts Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Nuno didn't do what any competent manager coming into Anfield ought to do if they know anything about football.

Which is, play it tight and compact, pack the middle, forcing us to try to go wide (which we didn't) rather than try to go through the middle or over the top.
    And be disciplined throughout the game and hopefully bring on some impact subs in the 60th/70th minutes when we've gotten even more sloppy and careless out of desperation.

Although, to be fair that's how all his teams are set up to play even at home and it some of the reasons some Wolves fans were happy to see the back of him, and why he was run out of the Spuds.

Arne just played right into his hands - almost like out backroom staff have no access to video review equipment or tapes of their games.

I think him and his coaching staff's real initiation to the Premier league starts today.
    Unlike in the Eredivisie, teams here will happily set up the low block and dare you to try to break it down and make it a grind for all 90 minutes. And teams that come to Anfield tend to do that a lot.

How he reponds to this - especially with lineup changes - will dictate how successful or not he'll be in this league.
    Yep big lesson in most of the European leagues I’ve watched most teams cone out & try & play Slot needs to realise most games he manages us in the Prem will be like todays home & away

I stress the importance of the press & counter press because it’s one of the elements City had to correct to get much better All the players have to be right at it & on point because most of our games teams set up to draw us on & try & hit us on the break, if you’re not in great counter pressing positions when you lose it, they get opportunities by releasing those players it’s really that straight forward

We also struggle because we’ve failed to replace Mane & Mo has slowed down a bit so he can’t leave defenders for dead anymore, a lot catch up to him now when he has a head start

We don’t have any player with that pace power agility & strength to be released or to be found in isolation & leave a player (or two) for dead & go on to finish anymore, it’s why I really wanted us to splash out big on Williams as our front line really needs an injection of a top quality player with those abilities

In a situation like todays we’d have been better off bringing Chiesa on at LFWD as he has that ability to get half a yard & finish & better ability at that than Gakpo & brought Gakpo on at false 9 where he’s played best for us

We saw none of Trent’s crossing from deeper inside right towards players at the back stick in any of Slot’s games so far & that has long been a potent weapon of this team

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Really great summation of the game.

I really hope he doesn't try to force this "back three" style of play on this team as we don't have the personnel that can pull it off.

Bradley is strictly or more naturally a Fullback - and it showed by how he got beaten by Hudson-Odoi first for the goal and then over and over again after that. And unless you want to bring Gomez (who is actually better suited to playing in a back three setup having the ability to play both fullback and centerback) into the starting lineup.

I feel like them going for this back three thing is the club trying to keep Trent in the team or playing full games, since it's pretty apparent and clear that Bradley's a better defender; all while they don't fully want to move Trent to the midfield because, again in that position he's not the best in any of those midfield positions that the club has.
    Even Harvey and Jones are better midfielders than Trent is.

In other words, it's just a way for the club (and many fans at the club) to avoid admitting that Trent should not be in that starting lineup.
    It'll be strange in a way if he does in relation to signing a defender during the summer. We were linked a fair bit with Ignacio and Hincapie. Both have played in a back three for a long time yet we never brought either in.
    Agree on Bradley. He's definitely not a centre back or he certainly doesn't look like it. Perfectly good right back though.
    I think today highlighted where we could have problems in midfield, Mac was off the pace and Szoboslai was like a fifth wheel and has been for most of his time at Liverpool.Aside from Jones there's not much to come in and Slot clearly doesn't fancy Endo.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Initially he took MacAllister off, brought on Bradley and moved Trent into midfield.
    Two errors in one there for a start as Szoboszlai was the one who should have been hooked he was abysmal and Trent should NOT be in midfield.
    He then went to a back three with Bradley playing the right side CB having taken Konate off.
    We’ve never played with a back three. Took Diaz off and left a woeful Salah on the pitch for 90 minutes.

The changes made no positive impact whatsoever.
    Really appreciate it miller, cheers.

No worries Sid

We have a long road ahead, I didn't like most on here get carried away with the first 3 games, our midfield overall is poor and that's where we will struggle this season. Trent is not a midfielder and he should have taken him off. As for Sobli, he's bang average and is not in any way a midfielder. Jota looks way off it—time to give those youngsters a go as they can't do any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by trueandred View Post
    We have a long road ahead, I didn't like most on here get carried away with the first 3 games, our midfield overall is poor and that's where we will struggle this season. Trent is not a midfielder and he should have taken him off. As for Sobli, he's bang average and is not in any way a midfielder. Jota looks way off it—time to give those youngsters a go as they can't do any worse.
    Personality I thought we'd a great start to the season playing really well. Today was a big come down on the first 3 performances of the season.

Played nobody in truth Ian.

I know United away is always tough BUT they bosses us early doors and couldn’t make anything out of it. We capitalised on their mistakes and got a big win - but there wasn’t nearly as much between the teams as the media frenzy suggested.

I’m at the Bologna game in early October for my sins. Thing is - any kind of win is a bonus so low are my expectations - I can actually enjoy any kind of win this season.

At least we got Chiesa to fix the midfield.

Awful at home to forest.... well the honeymoon period lasted long...

say we go through a bad patch..... salah vvd and trent still extend? hmm.

AC milan away next can't wait

Neither Nunez - who only touched the ball eight times - nor Gakpo managed an attempt on goal in the time they were on the pitch...... good subs then I guess?

I don't understand what i'm reading we couldn't create fuck all, how is that possible with that team? against the mighty forest?

Think it's obvious a strong no6 is needed to have a chance of winning the league... and midfield in general, see teams above, reason why utd have been so shite lately too, well not just that but part of the problem, mdifield is a big deal, every single player in are midfield was at there best, when we won it.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 14th September 2024 at 11:04 PM.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Having watched a few highlights, it's a shame that Diaz's tenacity, great feet and strike against the post weren't rewarded - nor indeed the Jota attempt (straight at the keeper) from an exquisite pass from Mac Allister.

A different day one of those comes off and we grow into the game and look comfortable.

A friend of mine said that Salah had a poor day in terms of taking on his full-back and that our forwards were failing to square it to each other when opportunities were there - are these accurate statements or is he not really reading the game?

Pretty accurate.